Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: SOLVED: Green Scale  (Read 4037 times)

aqualung

SOLVED: Green Scale
« on: September 27, 2020, 07:23:06 PM »

Well I found green scale on my viridis a few weeks ago, and a closer examination today shows it to be more wide spread than initially thought, and is infecting my caapi as well.Right now I'm just scraping them off as I find them. I'd like to bounce a few ideas I had off you folks.

First one is to spray the leaves and stem, a bit at a time with alcohol. I read using a q-tip soaked in alcohol kills them. I'm hoping scaling up wont hurt my plants.

Next option was neem oil. I like that it is scalable but wonder if it's safe for caapi and viridis.

Really liked the idea of predatory mites but haven't found any that seem to go after scale.

Other Ideas are wewelco as well.

Thank you all.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 03:07:15 AM by aqualung »

aqualung

Re: Green Scale
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 05:20:15 AM »

right now I've just been scraping the plants clean of them twice a day. There are definitely fewer reappearing each day, but it is definitely tedious. I the viridis down to a few leaves to make it more manageable. The caapi seems most infected, but it is also the largest. It might also get a "hair cut" soon. It's definitely starting to showing off it's vine nature, but I'd like to keep it a bit shrubby. Might also be a good time for cuttings of it. Will update further.

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 01:24:40 AM »

Alcohol can make them easier to take off. I’ve used a paper towel soaked in alcohol to scrape them off. I don’t think neem is very effective for scale. Just pick them off and/or cut it back.
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

aqualung

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 03:38:27 AM »

yeah thats what I thought. I've just been squishing/scraping them. Only found 2 on my viridis today. Should be gone by end of the week. will keep up inspections for 2 weeks after They're gone to be safe.

aqualung

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 03:06:42 AM »

sorry to resurrect a dead post, I had forgotten my password. I found a solution. I sprayed them with Sawyer insect repellent with permethrin a few times a week for 2 weeks. less harsh on the plants than the alcohol. haven't seen them in two years. I also haven't put them outside since then either.

Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Insect Repellent for Clothing, Gear & Tents https://a.co/d/4sEitDp