Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hi :)  (Read 1150 times)

Bg94

Hi :)
« on: September 26, 2020, 08:43:49 PM »

Hey,
I just came across this website from an Instagram post so thought I would give it a go :)
I'm from the UK and have had to give up another hobby (reefkeeping and a vivarium with pdf's) because I recently moved into a flat to start university.
I need a new hobby and I've liked growing plants since I was little (growing tomato's and other plants in the garden) so I've bought a couple of houseplants but I would like to collect some more unusual or intriguing plants (colourful, psychoactive, poisonous, interesting growth habits/flowers or anything a bit different?) that I can grow as houseplants or on a balcony.
So I would like to hear any plant recommendations anybody has :)

Thanks,
Billy

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50
Re: Hi :)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 09:45:04 PM »

Welcome Billy,
Plants are great to have in the home, I think it's a nice way to keep us connected to nature.  I've been watching houseplant tours lately on youtube :)

I like to grow some herbs and medicinals as house plants, I have a hanging basket in a south facing window overflowing with gynostema pentaphylum, it makes a nice tea.  I also have a Yerba Mate plant, some black ginger, a small banana and many others that do okay inside getting light from the windows and some supplemental light.

The newer clip style LED plant lights seem to do a great job for most plants that don't need full sun and they have automatic timers built in.
Hopefully you can start a nice little indoor garden that you can take with you where ever your life takes you!

Bg94

Re: Hi :)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 12:04:31 AM »

Oh, il have to have a look for that once my internet is installed, I've been using my mobile data and keep running out, it's supposed to be installed next week though so I'll look then :)

I like the sound of the gynostema, I like plants that climb or trail and being able to make it into a tea sounds good, does it have any health benefits?
I've tried yerba mate once before I think, I went to Argentina a couple of years ago and they sold souvenir cups with a metal straw with a filter on the end and a bag of it, I don't know if I did it wrong but it tasted like a mix between coffee, tobacco and an ash tray... So I didn't try it again :')

I'll have a read up on the plants you've said, I have east and West facing Windows and the balcony is facing the West :)