Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hi y'all!  (Read 1564 times)

Pan

• Trading Score: +4
Hi y'all!
« on: September 03, 2020, 03:58:22 AM »

Hey there everyone!

Some of y'all already know me from Discord and/or Reddit, though by different names. I've always loved and grown plants, and I've been interested in ethnobotany in particular for the past several years. My collection thereof has really taken off over the course of this pandemic, I'm sure many of y'all can relate.

I'm currently working on expanding my collection and constructing an indoor grow area, though I'm moving soon so the expansion is somewhat on hold.

Looking forward to meeting y'all and participating in and learning from this community!

foo25amc

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +5
Re: Hi y'all!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 02:55:29 PM »

Welcome!

I'm also keen to hear about (both of) your indoor grow areas. My window sills are rapidly running out of space and I've lots more plants germinating, so I may need to consider something similar ;D

Pan

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 04:36:54 PM »

I'm basing mine on some wire shelving units that I'm going to surround in mylar. I'll need to cut a few inches off the top to fit in some rooms, but the 96" version is $10 more than the 86" one, and the extra 5" I'll end up with seem worth the $2 per. I'm going to build some LED grow lights to put inside. I plan on having one 6' tall shelf for cacti and other things that require high intensity light (I'm moving to California  ;)), one 2' for carnivores, one 4' for tropical plants (mostly my ethnobotanicals), one 2' for seed starting/propagation, and one 2' will serve as room to grow. I'm building lights that ought to have a bit more output than required as a safety net. I'll dim them and apply shade cloth to more sensitive plants as needed. If this all works out well I'll post supply list and stuff.

It'll be way more room than I need right now but it'll be nice to feel like I have extra space for once, and I expect I'll end up putting most of it to use sooner rather than later. 😅
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 04:52:31 PM by Pan »

foo25amc

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +5
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 05:19:30 PM »

Interesting, thanks for the explanation!

There are some shelves built into one of the walls of my study/office, so I'd been toying with the idea of turning one into a growing shelf. They're about 5ft wide, 16" tall, with another couple of inches underneath to allow for lights, but I'm not sure just yet... It might be too shallow. I like the idea of standalone shelves - something to think about!

Pan

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 06:49:26 AM »

16" tall doesn't allow for very much headroom, especially with lights in there too. That being said, I'm sure you could find a good use for the space! Perhaps a seed-starting/prop shelf? How deep is it?