Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Other Hobbies  (Read 325 times)

xlcor

Other Hobbies
« on: September 12, 2020, 09:37:16 pm »

Hello friends!

What other hobbies do my fellow seedians get up to? What resources are helpful as introductions to these hobbies?

I enjoy juggling, and I highly recommend The Library of Juggling for learning its art. Aside from juggling, I like to read, watch movies, hike, and alter my consciousness.

SallysMintGarden

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +132
Re: Other Hobbies
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 11:12:12 pm »

Hey xlcor :)

My other hobbies have taken a dive since the pandemic but I hope to get back to them more soon! However not all is bad as the gardening has been more of a focus lately!
Jugglings cool, a lot of my friends are into it, Ive not done much myself but have done lots of other circus like stuff like staff spinning and slacklining. Juggling takes a lot of practise, and you're right it is an art. A good juggler is very impressive.

Back before the world fell apart and I was able to do more contact sports I did things like partner stunting and acro yoga. A lot of my hobbies are pretty physical, I like to do a lot of sports.
And then some more chill activities I like to do are fires down the beach in the evenings, camping, hiking, a lot of outdoorsy stuff really. These activities are very important to me, they ground me a lot.

I also went to the gym regularly to assist with my sports. I use to enjoy the gym for itself and use to train for weightlifting competitions some years a go but I grew tired of it as it became more of a chore. I much prefer going to the park and playing around doing handstands and whatever else now.

As for how to get into these things and resources... I started doing my own stunting after I went to some cheerleading classes for a couple of years and got some basics there. I also use to go to open adult gymnastics sessions where you could train whatever you liked and if you wanted to you could ask a member of staff for help with new tricks if needed. Slacklining I just went to the local spots down the beach / parks and joined in with anyone there. Most of what I've done I've just joined in and learnt from whoever was about I guess :)

This is me without the edited out face lifting one of my stunt partners from over the years :)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 12:36:03 am by SallysMintGarden »

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +45
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 11:23:46 pm »

Wow guns!  Juggling is cool, I can only do three objects or two with one hand.  I love hiking, yoga, gardening and reading as well.

SallysMintGarden

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 05:43:23 pm »

Wooo I had my 1st gym session back since lockdown started in the UK in March.
I actually really enjoyed being back, the break has helped spark my enjoyment for it again.

Another hobby of mine which I forgot to mention is foraging. And talking about this, the mushroom season is starting up here in the UK. If there are any members around the Dorset / Hampshire area who would like to meet up to do some foraging let me know. I know some good spots for some edible mushrooms :D

foo25amc

• Trading Score: +5
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 03:47:02 pm »

That looks rather impressive SallysMintGarden!

Foraging is something I'm attempting to get into myself. So far I've limited myself to photographing what I find due to a limited knowledge of what's edible, and the fact I've not yet (but am determined to) acquire a taste for mushrooms. On a relatively short walk last weekend, I came across at least 10 species of mushroom and got some nice photos, although I've yet to take the time to identify them all. On the way back to the car my partner spotted a few Shaggy Inkcaps in the distance, which was an excellent end to the day as they're just so striking!

I picked up 'Food for Free' and 'Mushrooms' from the Collins Gem book series, as well as a copy of 'Fascinated by Fungi' by Pat O'Reilly to get me started.

I also enjoy anything automotive related, electronics/tech related projects, 3D printing, and playing music - guitar, bass, and in particular, the bodhran.

SallysMintGarden

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 08:38:27 pm »

You take some incredible photos!

I also have Mushrooms from the Collins Gem series and then the larger version of Food for Free. Both great books!
Another brilliant one I'd recommend is Mushrooms by Roger Phillips which is a very detailed book for identification. I found the Colins gem book to be handy whilst out and then the Roger Philips one for when Im back home for if I want to look anything up further. I heard it was meant to be The book for mushroom identification on some of the foraging groups I'm in so I purchased a copy and it did not disappoint.

I will snag some photos when I go out next with what I find :)

foo25amc

• Trading Score: +5
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 11:00:37 am »

Very kind, thank you. I finally got my hands on an older DSLR, so I'm hoping to make good use of it to document my nature-related activities.

I had originally considered the Roger Phillips book, and probably will grab a physical copy at some point. I have the eBook if you have any use for it. I don't use it, but found a copy when deciding on which desk copy to buy. It appears to be very comprehensive indeed, no doubt more so than O'Reilly, however I'd used Pat O'Reilly's website first-nature.com quite a bit before, and his book includes more information about history, different environments, how fungi are classified, how to photograph them, microscopy, etc, as well as the traditional reference information for most species found in the UK and Ireland. It's more story-like in some ways and quite jovial - nice to read whilst unwinding in the evening.

I look forward to seeing what you find :) I may pick a new spot to explore this weekend and see what I can unearth. It's started to get much more chilly this week however I've noticed!

North3rnBoy

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 05:06:41 pm »

Well for me I am lucky enough to reside in Northern Ontario, spend much of my time hunting and fishing but more than that it is getting out and being one with nature!  Where I call my stomping grounds we don't have many cell  towers and little satellite communication, your best bet is topographical maps and a plain old compass to have a enjoying day in the bush and hopefully not a rescue situation.  I advise anyone who wants to explore the wilderness to go in prepared for the worst possible outcome.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/orienteering-basics.html

lelouch420

• Heyoooo!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 09:10:30 am »

Nice pictures foo, how do what's your camera setup?