Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mimosa tenuiflora for bees  (Read 2638 times)

Vazkh

• Trader
Mimosa tenuiflora for bees
« on: August 14, 2020, 10:55:53 PM »

Hi,

I have some beehives and I'm planting all kinds of trees and shrubs around my house so they have more flowers throughout most of the year. Also, all the pine woods around my house burned in a wildfire and I want to plant trees there. It turns out the jurema tree is a good nectar source and it seems it is very drought tolerant, which is a must here. Problem is it freezes sometimes. Not much. I think it's equivalent to US hardiness zone 9, although sonetimes it gets colder for a short time. I've seen -8 degrees C. My kumquat lost its fine branches from frost 3 years ago but didn't die.

Do you think jurema trees might survive here? I was thinking of trying to get seeds from mexican ones as they are further from the equator than those from Brazil. The truth is I'm having a hard time finding any seeds at all.

I was also thinking of planting Robinia neomexicana but it's proving impossible to find seeds of it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 11:01:19 PM by Vazkh »

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
Re: Mimosa tenuiflora for bees
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 03:43:39 AM »

While i am unsure of the cold hardiness of Jurema, it is fantastic for bees. When the trees flower at my place thousands and thousands of bees feed each morning.

nobody
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Rainbowslug

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 12:02:34 PM »

Lowest temperature reported here in which the plant survived is -2 C https://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=919.0
You could put it in a greenhouse or cover it with a bag when it is very cold.

jbz711

• Subversive Garden Installer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +61
  • 8b/9a
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 06:37:32 PM »

I grow Meiwa and Nagami and both survive in my clime without protection or damage, but the M. Tenuiflora has to go in the greenhouse.  I'm in 8b/9a.
We must cultivate our garden. - Voltaire