Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tissue culture starter kits  (Read 2412 times)

Midnight2012

Tissue culture starter kits
« on: June 29, 2020, 05:46:27 PM »

Hi, I am just starting to get into plant tissue culture, and am new to this site- which by the way seems awesome.  I am a human and mouse tissue culture PhD by trade, so I thought with my love of succulents, this would be a logical next step. I am most interested in Lophophora, and also some Trichocereus and various lithops.

I was thinking of starting with a kit just to figure out the flow of the protocol without any kinks.

I found this one, and I was wondering if anyone has used this and had succes with it?

On the other hand, I was thinking about starting from scratch and making my own murashige and skoog medium and going from there.  Especially since I have daily access to an autoclave and tissue culture hood. Any thoughts?

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
Re: Tissue culture starter kits
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 09:06:35 PM »

the last sentence, " Leads into full TC kit." should say, "must buy a second more expensive kit"
i personally just don't trust kits.. they sometimes only supply minimum information and supplies.
that's cool a PhD in animal tissue cultue.. i'd think you already have all the procedure know-how..
there are guides online that go threw the basic steps. For pdfs google.. filetype:pdf tissue culture
i'd recommend buying premixed MS-medium (i bought from ebay) and plant hormones, and agar,
then you'd have plenty of materials to work with, instead of just a few premade rootings cups.
i plan to start some more culture bottles soon. hope you will share your experiments with us :)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:10:05 PM by ONandONandON »
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

Shamichael

• Trading Score: +50
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 04:21:35 PM »

Hey Midnight, I wish I could help you out but I have yet to do any tissue cultures.
I would however really like to follow along with your progress if you have time to post.
I would be happy to share some very good trichocereus genetics to your project.
I am wondering what your goals are exactly?

Eventually I plan to relocate to another country, since my cacti collection is growing all the time, tissue culture may be part of a strategy to bring my collection with me.

Midnight2012

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 07:42:18 PM »

Thanks for the input so far,  ONandOn, I think you are right, I think I can figure this out without a kit.  I am going to go for it.  I can hopefully scoop up some old chemicals that will be thrown away in the lab to piece together my own MS media.

And to Shamichael, I will try to update any progress.  Long term goal would be to figure out and implement a tissue culture strategy to mass propagate some of the more rare and slow growing cactus species (lithops and lophophora for example), both for personal pleasure, and for possible financial opportunities having a lot of rare cactuses might provide :).  And then hopefully to eventually disseminate this information either as a submission to a journal or share online.  Thanks for the offer for trich's, but that is one species I am currently overweight on.

Side not, I am currently looking for psychotria viridis leaf or root cuttings.  I have to trade a number of active cactus species seeds, and some none-williamsii lophophora seeds.  I also have a variety of echeveria type plant species.