Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Indoor grow lights  (Read 234 times)

SallysMintGarden

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +38
Indoor grow lights
« on: May 26, 2020, 02:47:22 pm »

I’m interested in setting up some indoor grow lights. I was wondering if any members here could shed some light on this topic ;)
I will most likely be using them for cactus seed starting and seedlings, and also try some plants like Salvia under them. Then as my plant collection grows, and I obtain more plants which need more care and different conditions than just being plonked in my greenhouse/ on a windowsill or outside here in the UK, I will use the lights for them as well.

I have been looking at some T5 HO fluorescent tubes and then some T5 LED tubes. If anyone has other suggestions they think would be better I would be interested to hear them please.

From what I’ve read it seems the T5 HO have a high amount of lumens and I have seen them be recommended for beginners, due to the initial cost of bulbs being low and them being effective apparently. Then the LED versions have also caught my attention due to the lower running costs. They produce less lumens but they don't seem too much lower, so I’m guessing it wouldn't be a big deal? And I guess I could always get extra tubes of these if needed.

Here are the exact ones I am looking at:

Philips LEDtube T5 HO 26W 865 115cm (MASTER) | Daylight - Replaces 54W 
https://www.any-lamp.co.uk/philips-ledtube-t5-ho-26w-865-115cm-master-daylight-replaces-54w

Philips TL5 HO 54W 865 (MASTER) | 115cm - Daylight
https://www.any-lamp.co.uk/philips-tl5-ho-54w-865-master-115cm-daylight

The LED ones appeal more due to the running costs. But if the T5 HO are a better option due to the increased lumens or anything else, I would get them. What's the opinions here?
Both 6500k
T5 HO 4150 lumens, 54 watt, dimmable (might be useful?)
T5 LED 3900 lumens, 26 watt, not dimmable
Or something completely different.

And then past this can someone then tell me what I need to actually get the lights going?
I’ve seen big rigs I could buy to plug these tubes into, but I would be interested in building my own if I can buy the fixings and attach them to some wood perhaps. Again to keep the cost down.
Any ideas if I could buy the end fixings the lights plug into, if so what are these called? And then what else I would need to get these powered up and plugged into the mains? I keep seeing the word Ballast pop up, I’m not sure what it is, but I think I need one..?

Thank you for any help and suggestions for indoor grow lights :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 02:49:32 pm by Tramontane »

cactusman

• Trading Score: +4
Re: Indoor grow lights
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 05:55:18 pm »

I got a 240w Chinese quantum board for $150~ they have samsung diodes and nice power supply. works amazing

https://meijiuled.en.alibaba.com/?spm=a2700.details.cordpanyb.4.1714yGfYyGfYoB

you're better off with LED's aswell T5 don't compare...

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:59:41 pm by cactusman »

cactusman

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 06:03:54 pm »

and you should look at the lux output or preferably at the PAR output of the lights.

SallysMintGarden

• Trader
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 07:59:57 pm »

Thanks for the link and suggestions, I will have a look.

As for the lux output and PAR output, this terminology currently goes over my head. I am a complete beginner with lights. I've just found out about the Kelvin scale, Lumens, compared the differences of the T8, T5, T5 HO and LED tubes.
I will look up the lux output and PAR outputs and see what this is all about so I can make a more informed decision when getting some. Much appreciated :)

cactusman

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 08:16:26 pm »

good video that explains terms in depth

recipes

• Have a great day!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 03:38:09 pm »

I currently have a setup using both florescent & LED.  My setup has both in the same tent and from what I have seen LED works much better!  The light spectrum and Lumens far exceed that of a florescent (used an app on my phone to measure both lumen output).  I also found that is was cheaper on the power bill to use LED too.  Also, the LED unit is much more compact.  I use the "King Plus 1000w LED Grow Light Double Chips Full Spectrum with UV&IR for Greenhouse Indoor Plant Veg and Flower," that I got off of Amazon.  Hope this helps
Nature lover!

SallysMintGarden

• Trader
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 04:43:57 pm »

Thank you for letting me know your experience and the comparison you have had with florescent & LED :)
Yes I am definitely going to go for some LED lights now, most likely the ones on strips / bars instead of the ones I was looking at in my original post.

I have also had some great help from other members over messages on the topic so I want to say thank you to everyone who has commented here and also who I have spoke to over messages about it. I really value the input and help from everyone on STS, and I'm sure my plants will as well ;)