Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Getting self sterile flowers to polinate themselves.  (Read 20668 times)

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Getting self sterile flowers to polinate themselves.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 07:32:22 PM »

I still doubt that it would work with animals. Would be interesting to see though. But like I said i'm pretty sure it would take genetic engineering rather than electricity.
Cactus = Life

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 07:37:50 PM »

Care to explain why you think that?

The head of each sperm, the acrosome, releases enzymes that begin to break down the outer, jelly-like layer of the egg's membrane, trying to penetrate the egg. Once a single sperm has penetrated, the cell membrane of the egg changes its electrical characteristics. This electrical signal causes small sacs just beneath the membrane (cortical granules) to dump their contents into the space surrounding the egg. The contents swell, pushing the other sperm far away from the egg in a process called cortical reaction. The cortical reaction ensures that only one sperm fertilizes the egg. The other sperm die within 48 hours.

So it seems that electrical charges do play a role in the fertilization process....
I don't think genetic engineering would be nessecary as I stated before and listed the species that have been hybridized without any help. Perhaps it would be more likely to get animal hybrids if the male's sperm hormone that allows it to penetrate the egg was added to the sperm of another animal, along with a few micro volts to get things going. I'm just speculating based off of what I've read though. *shrugs*

Source- http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/human-biology/human-reproduction10.htm
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:42:30 PM by Sunshine »

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 08:43:49 PM »

Well something like horse sperm is going to be completely different than say human sperm.  Say a horse sperm actually gets into a human egg. The process may not even be the same with how they actually form together, and also, even if it did, horse dna and human dna is so incredibly different that the cell probably wont even be able to reproduce. Anyways this tech is mostly about getting self sterile plants to be able to fertilize themselves. There is no evidence thus far about the hybridizing side of it.

So like I said, I HIGHLY doubt it would work with animal. Let alone with plants.
Cactus = Life

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 09:58:42 PM »

Yeah, but with 2 animals that are reasonably close together like a deer and human or a human and a dolphin it could quite possibly work. In fact, I'd say it would likely work.

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 10:53:14 PM »

Yeah, but with 2 animals that are reasonably close together like a deer and human or a human and a dolphin it could quite possibly work. In fact, I'd say it would likely work.

You cannot really call humans and deers, or humans and dolphins, closely related. If there's animals we could perhaps, maybe interbreed with, those are some great apes like chimpanzees and bonobos. Or if we only had Neanderthals.

The genetic material of two animal species has to be very similar for hybridization. Otherwise the molecular processes occurring in fertilization simply will not prosper.

But let's not derail the thread any further, please.

Kind regards,

Mandrake
Pages: 1 [2]