Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Question about growing cacti(Loph and Peruvian Torch) in temperate climate.  (Read 3201 times)

app5774e

Hello,
I am relatively new at growing cacti and live in the southeastern US.  Our fall usually occurs in late October,early November, and by then it starts to get noticeably cold outside. I am trying to avoid using grow lights during late fall and winter. If I put my cacti in front of a window with good light, will that be good enough until spring? If I do need grow lights, is there a setup that doesn't require hanging lights? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 06:03:32 AM by app5774e »

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
Re: Question about growing cacti(Loph and Peruvian Torch) in temperate climate.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 12:52:41 PM »

Hi,

Even better- you want to put your cacti dormant during winter when you bring them inside. Growing them under lights or near a window will result in etoliation. Instead, try to move them somewhere where they won't get water for the last bit outside, maybe towards the mid or late September, then move them to a cool, dry location for the winter. They'll just hang out fine until Spring, when you bring them back out for active growing.

I actually don't have a spot to move mine outdoors under cover before moving them in, so mine just sit in the elements until it's getting to the 40's at night and then get hauled into the basement. In previous houses they've been in my kitchen, bedroom, all over the house pretty much lol, but a basement or garage is ideal since they're cooler than a heated house.

Peace,
Frog

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 12:54:15 PM »

Oh, and I just read your intro post. I'm in Western NC myself :-) We have a handful of members in NC, either Western like me or Charlotte area.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 12:55:32 PM by Frog Pajamas »

DancinDog

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 02:40:36 PM »

Hello,

I'm in NC too.   :)

I'm new here.  We have a few decorative cacti, but I've never learned much about properly caring for them.  Our favorite is a "rat tail" in a hanging basket, which has amazing flowers each Spring.  The plant looks like green dread locks (sp?). 

Since I've discovered STS I hop to learn more about cacti and try some of the enlightening ones.  We just moved into a new house, so I'm trying to get settled in before beginning gardening projects. 

app5774e

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 05:13:38 AM »

Oh, and I just read your intro post. I'm in Western NC myself :-) We have a handful of members in NC, either Western like me or Charlotte area.

Charlotte area here :)  Thanks for taking the time to help me prepare. It's really appreciated!

app5774e

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 06:05:56 AM »

Hello,

I'm in NC too.   :)

I'm new here.  We have a few decorative cacti, but I've never learned much about properly caring for them.  Our favorite is a "rat tail" in a hanging basket, which has amazing flowers each Spring.  The plant looks like green dread locks (sp?). 

Since I've discovered STS I hop to learn more about cacti and try some of the enlightening ones.  We just moved into a new house, so I'm trying to get settled in before beginning gardening projects.

Same here! It's all very fascinating to me. I feel awkward asking very basic questions to people who've been doing this for a very long time, but the answers ive received in this post make me feel confident in doing something that I enjoy very much.  I'm going to look into that rat tail you talked about above. Sounds really cool! Thanks for the response!

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 02:32:11 PM »

Same here! It's all very fascinating to me. I feel awkward asking very basic questions to people who've been doing this for a very long time, but the answers ive received in this post make me feel confident in doing something that I enjoy very much.  I'm going to look into that rat tail you talked about above. Sounds really cool! Thanks for the response!

Ya'll don't hesitate to ask questions! A large percentage of the members here, myself included, were brand new to gardening in general and growing ethnobotanicals specifically when they joined. All the old timers like to see new people take an interest and are happy to help. No judgement here. :-)

Otorongo

• Trading Score: +20
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 03:31:00 PM »

If it doesn't get too cold where you are, you may be able to grow it outside as it seems hardier than the other interesting trichs.

My T. peruvianus has taken -6C (21F) in a wet winter outside without *any* damage at all, when the other trichs (pachanoi and bridgesii) showed some damage.