Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: EC for Viridis?  (Read 2472 times)

cactusman

• Trading Score: +9
EC for Viridis?
« on: August 09, 2019, 07:32:42 PM »

Hey, I was wondering does anyone know what EC Psychotria Viridis likes? I have a batch of salt based nutrient mixed up but don't want to burn my plant...

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
Re: EC for Viridis?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 03:33:59 AM »

Are you attempting tissue culture? Not sure what EC is, but I'm pretty sure the answer is that no one knows.

I've been growing Pv for over 25 years and have found TC is totally unnecessary since it's so easy from cuttings. I can tell you the plant resents MiracleGro and similar petro based ferts. Causes immediate stress that I suspect is osmotic in nature and so I would caution against any salt-based nutirent solution.

Worm castings and Osmocote have been my standard ferts for the entire time I have grown the plant.

EDIT: and to state the obvious all my exp with the plant has been soil-based
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 03:14:09 AM by Bach »
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

geezer

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 11:46:40 PM »

EC is a hydroponics term right?

you're trying to grow PV in a water bucket?
all about the cactus

cactusman

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 04:30:17 AM »

EC = electrical conductivity of nutrient mix or PPM of nutrient mix.

EC is the more accurate way to measure nutrient concentration in solution.

I want to dial in my nuts mix and not burn my plants I just wanted to know if anyone had a know number they use for the EC in their mix.

geezer

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +10
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 12:13:08 AM »

Oh, cool. I got to learn something today.

Do big league horts/greenhouse workers usually speak in terms of EC when talking about nutrients?
all about the cactus

cactusman

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 04:59:45 AM »

Are you attempting tissue culture? Not sure what EC is, but I'm pretty sure the answer is that no one knows.

I've been growing Pv for over 25 years and have found TC is totally unnecessary since it's so easy from cuttings. I can tell you the plant resents MiracleGro and similar petro based ferts. Causes immediate stress that I suspect is osmotic in nature and so I would caution against any salt-based nutirent solution.

Worm castings and Osmocote have been my standard ferts for the entire time I have grown the plant.

EDIT: and to state the obvious all my exp with the plant has been soil-based

Na no tissue culture I don't even want to begin to learn to do that then I'll never leave home lol... I am doing a mass propagating of leaves in aluminum baking boxes with clear lids laid in coir and nearly every single one has rooted :) it's my first time getting them to root at all can't wait for little plantlets.

EC is for measuring salt based ferts mixed in water... I will take your advice as the one diluted feed of the stuff I made seemed to burn it but seemed to like it as well it's growing really nice now I think I just have to start extremely low with it. I'm just gonna give it the osmocote and worm castings as I have both those things and save the salt based ferts for my cacti which really love the stuff and mulch with fallen caapi leaves.

My plant is also in soil :) But the nutes I use can be used hydroponically or Soil/Coir/etc...

cactusman

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 09:22:16 PM »

well from my observations within the last 2 months I think viridis loves the General hydroponics mix that I made as it has exploded with growth I've never seen it grow this fast... it did have to get past some nutrient burn first as it was a little too hot for it but damn.