Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Producing viable hybrid seeds through grafting and cross pollination  (Read 4368 times)

ThirstyRoots

Hey community, first off thank you all for the information put together on sts. I've enjoyed my research on here so much but I'm left with a question I haven't found a direct answer to. I read that any time there is a graft performed between two plants that they trade small amounts of genes.

1) if I were to graft multiple lophs between two trichocereus multiple times would there be more uptake of the troch genes into the loph and vice versa with each transfer?

2) after enough graft transfers, would you be able to cross pollinate the lophs or trichs and produce a seed with characteristics of both the loff and the trich?

Keywords from posts that bring me to these questions, chimerism, hybridization, gene transfer, grafting. Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing your opinions or ideas, as well as any additional information you can provide. Happy gardening

Hunter

• Yeah
Re: Producing viable hybrid seeds through grafting and cross pollination
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 05:35:18 PM »

Genes are not transfered between grafts. It is possible for a chimera to form, but the chimera will not produce hybrid seed. It is plausible to produce an intergeneric hybrid between lophophora and trichocereus as they are in the same family, but that would require years of work and tons of trials in a lab to actually accomplish, if it is actually possible.

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 04:16:29 AM »

thanks for posting 8) ive been wondering the same thing,
i came across this interesting article..
https://phys.org/news/2012-02-genetic-migrates.html

it basically says ;
"horizontal-chlorophyll-DNA" is transferred between grafted plants,
it also says that DNA is passed down to second generation seeds.

based on that article i was thinking, since chlorophyll-DNA gets transferred..
if you grafted onto a variegated plant, maybe the variegation trait
would be passed down to the second generation(seeds)
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

Kada

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 11:28:28 AM »

i certainly think it is possible.  as well as virus transfer which can certainly mess up the dna and cause new and wonderful things to occur.  or monsters.  i wouldnt bet money on it and it would be out of the scope of most of use to check the dna and prove it, but juices do transfer between grafts and in some fruit it has been shown to vastly affect the fruits appearances based on what variety the root stock is.  whether it transfers into seeds and becomes the beginning of a new evolution is excited but mostly unknown i would presume.

husk

• Trading Score: +39

Genes are not transfered between grafts. It is possible for a chimera to form, but the chimera will not produce hybrid seed. It is plausible to produce an intergeneric hybrid between lophophora and trichocereus as they are in the same family, but that would require years of work and tons of trials in a lab to actually accomplish, if it is actually possible.

https://scienceblogs.com/notrocketscience/2009/05/01/unintentional-genetic-engineering-grafted-plants-trade-gen

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/324/5927/649
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 12:18:42 AM by husk »

Hunter

• Yeah
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 04:20:49 PM »

Thanks for the paper, that's news to me!