Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: B. Caapi grafting and other similar lianas  (Read 3510 times)

caguama

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +15
B. Caapi grafting and other similar lianas
« on: November 23, 2018, 12:09:30 AM »

Hello STS community! Yesterday I was doing some thinking after observing a person's citric "fruit salad" tree with grafting from different varieties of oranges on one tree. I was wondering if it is possible to graft vines from Banisteriopsis or other genus (Alicia) onto a mature hardwood stock. For example, grafting one variety hardwood of B. muricata onto a B. Caapi stock.

Some questions I have are, obviously whether this is possible in this family and genus, whether it would have to be a hardwood (or softwood is okay?) type of piece to graft onto a mature hardwood, how mature does the hardwood stock have to be, how much does that impact production b-carbolines and how long would this process take? What are some effective methods in grafting within this genus? I did a search and couldn't find anything on this topic. Thank you and I appreciate any responses!

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
Re: B. Caapi grafting and other similar lianas
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 11:04:18 PM »

so i don't have much experience with grafting in general, but i would think that these vines would graft easily. i had something  (bug?) once girdle the bark round one of my vines, something that would kill a tree, but it healed just fine. i have also had branches break, no so cleanly, where there is only a small strip of wood and bark joining the branch to the rest of the plant, and i put the pieces back together and bound them with wire & tape- took about a month to heal, not 100%, but the branch was joined and growing new leaves.

oh, and i am pretty sure, the pics of mature vines that are not entirely round and have lobes to the diameter, are actually multiple branches that have spun around each other, and when this happens, the vines' bark eventually fuses. the inner wood should condense, and likely fuse as well.
this is all with one individual plant healing & fusing with itself

i have had different caapi plants attempt to do this with each other, but i always pull them apart.... what happens when two different vines grow in proximity in the wild?
can two different individual caapi vines fuse? what about caapi, and another trees it grows up/through/on?

my real question, though, is why would you want to do this, what would you expect to gain, as far as "plant fitness"? typically, when i think of grafting to rootstock, i think of tasty fruits that have been grafted to avoid root-pathogens, or to increase cold (possibly drought) tolerance.
caapi & muricata etc seem to all grow pretty fast, both pretty cold sensitive, neither have tasty fruit, i don't think anyone is really investigating with any seriousness the pathogens of these plants....

i think you could probably do it, but would you be able to notice any difference? i guess there's only one way to find out!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 11:06:18 PM by XDX »

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
Re: B. Caapi grafting and other similar lianas
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 08:34:46 PM »

Hello STS community! Yesterday I was doing some thinking after observing a person's citric "fruit salad" tree with grafting from different varieties of oranges on one tree. I was wondering if it is possible to graft vines from Banisteriopsis or other genus (Alicia) onto a mature hardwood stock. For example, grafting one variety hardwood of B. muricata onto a B. Caapi stock.

Some questions I have are, obviously whether this is possible in this family and genus, whether it would have to be a hardwood (or softwood is okay?) type of piece to graft onto a mature hardwood, how mature does the hardwood stock have to be, how much does that impact production b-carbolines and how long would this process take? What are some effective methods in grafting within this genus? I did a search and couldn't find anything on this topic. Thank you and I appreciate any responses!

Not sure why you would want to graft two Banisteriopsis together, but I would do an approach graft with green fast growing specimens If I were going to do this. Seedlings would be very easy to do this with. Simply place both seedlings in close proximity to each other and take a very thin sliver of tissue from both seedlings in a vertical line. Then simply match up your seedlings and wrap with parafilm. As each scion is still on its own roots the graft will take fairly quickly and you won't have to worry about the scion drying out before it can form a successful union. You can try other methods of grafting as well, but this one is perhaps the easiest with vine seedlings and can even be used on larger fast growing green vines as well. The nice part about grafting like this is when the union heals it will look like the two were never separate except of course for the fact that below you will see that they still both have their own root systems. You can of course remove either root system as well after the graft takes, but be careful not to remove both root systems unless you have allowed your graft to become woody in which case you can then reroot the whole mess in the ground... but buried you won't see the union and then... what is the point?
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.