Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mushrooms growing in my dancing plant pot  (Read 4902 times)

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Mushrooms growing in my dancing plant pot
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:51:04 AM »

So i have my dancing plant pot in a humidity dome.  They're just seedlings.  I checked it today and found this mushroom.  I attached a picture.  I'm not sure what I should do, if it's gong to harm to plants, and if there's any treatment I can apply to stop it.

Can anyone help me out?  I saw mold looking stuff at first on the top of the soil so i just dug it out. But now it's grown into a mushroom. 

Thanks!

New Wisdom
Cactus = Life

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
Re: Mushrooms growing in my dancing plant pot
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 01:13:45 PM »

Hmmm i dont wanna say harm the mycelium but...

If your plant is newly planted andor doesnt grow vigorously, the mycelium could get an upper hand on it. I dont know how you could get rid of it without fungicide, unfortunatly, but like i said, i dont know. Im sure theres a more organic way to rid it of mushies, if you decide against it.

Im not sure how beneficial or negative mycelium is in potted plants. Never really thought of it lol.
With that being said, if the mycelium is growing vigorously, id imagine it could eventually take possible root space up.

Idk man
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »

Personally, I wouldn't be too worried. I guess it depends on what type of mushroom it is. My guess is that it's some sort of Coprinoid or Mycena, which are really just digesting the decomposing wood and debris in the soil.. I don't think they pose much of a risk to the plant. I've seen various types of these mushrooms growing in my own plants and they never seemed to have any ill affect on the plants. I just leave them, and enjoy their delicate beauty.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/coprinoid.html
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/mycenoid.html

I'm far from an expert though:)

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 04:05:49 PM »

As long as the mycelium  does not get out of hand it should be okay. Maybe even beneficial as fungi produce co2.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:40:41 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 05:22:12 PM »

Mycelium can also dissolve minerals and other nutrients that plants typically can not, there by making it into a plant soluble form

Just dont let it get out of hand, the mycelium could overpower a plant thats not healthy
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 07:00:15 PM »

I had a fungus grow in my Salvia divinorum pot, I thought it was harmless at first but it ended up overpowering it and creating major root rot (the mycelium was then eating the roots once they rotted enough :o) so I ended up taking cuttings to save the plant. The fungus I was having issues with produced mushrooms that looked nothing like the one in your pot, that and it ended up being that the potting soil itself was where the fungus was coming from (the unused soil in the bag even had the same fungus/mushrooms!).

I would just keep an eye on it, most fungi can be beneficial as most have already stated, I just happened to be a bit unlucky I guess.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 07:13:24 PM »

Thanks for all of the responces everyone.  I really appreciate it.  I'm just going to take it out of the humidity tank for a while and see what happens.  I picked the shroom already so It doesn't spread too much. 

Lets hope it doesn't take over my plants.
Cactus = Life