Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anyone else use cinnamon on soil??  (Read 2908 times)

MorningDew

• Trading Score: +128
  • ????
Anyone else use cinnamon on soil??
« on: May 02, 2018, 03:07:46 AM »

Hey everyone, sorry to post this in the welcome area, but i think im limited here.  My question is about the use of cinnamon.  Like every other subject i research there seems to be positive info out there and then stuff that directly contradicts...so il ask.  Ive started a few more cacti seeds and a few a of them were very limited so i wanted to facilitate the best conditions and ensure they would a better than average germ rate.  Ive sterilized everything but the seeds themselves, for the seeds i only soaked for 24 hrs with chamomile tea.  After i soaked the trays from the bottom drainage holes i laid a thin layer of cinnamon and then sown the seeds.  Now i have a bit of paranoia because even though its only been a week, all my other trays without the cinnamon already show signs of life before this point.  Has anyone ever used cinnamon in this manner??  Were your results worth its use??  Did i just learn what not to do??  Any feedback would be most appreciated, this is something very new to me so im still sortin out the things that work for me.  Thanks in advance

nkuluu

Re: Anyone else use cinnamon on soil??
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 03:26:01 PM »

Id say give it some more time. More time will help you determine if it is inhibiting germination or just delaying it. I'm personally not sure the role of cinnamon in germination, I've never used it that early on. My experience with it is a deterrent for fungus gnats. I'd be curious what the pH of cinnamon is, I wonder if that has anything to do with the issues you are encountering?
I will practice the old horticulture, and let the plants identify me.

MorningDew

• ????
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 05:01:28 PM »

Im sorry, i forgot to add that it was used as an anti fungul.  The chamomile was used to soak the seeds rather than any kind of hormone

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 09:03:23 PM »

ive heard somewhere of dipping cuttings in cinnamon to decrease stem rot or something like that..
what does chamomile tea suppose todo? it would be cool to find some natural rooting hormones..
ive been wondering if the water left in a jar of rooted cuttings might contain the rooting hormones?

Anyways goodluck! interesting experiment!!
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

MorningDew

• ????

MorningDew

• ????
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 03:16:28 PM »

Ok so just an update....since my initial post all my trays with cinnamon have begun to sprout.  Out of curiosity ive started some of the same seeds again, but without the cinnamon.  It had taken a bit longer than ive seen before so i had become worried bout that, which doesnt say much though, seeing that i basically just started.  Just to explain why i had even done this is because of  another tray that i started that began growing mold.  So it was something i thought would prevent that, but after spraying an H2O2 mix for a few days, it seems to me the better route would be to deal with mold than possibly staring at an empty tray.  So now that theyve begun to sprout and everything seems to be goin ok, il have to wait and see what kind of effect cinnamon has, if any at all, on the roots of these lil guys.  Il check back in on this somewhere down the line, hopefully still with good news, and better yet with some pics.  Thanks guys

Also, does amyone know how to possibly get this thread moved to the proper location??  I thought i was only able to post in the welcome area as a new member.  Thanks in advance :D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:32:49 PM by MorningDew »

knots

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 10:55:40 AM »

Hey there, sorry it's gonna be off topic I guess, but ONandONandON, I understand you are looking for natural rooting hormones. I've heard about two : the small white roots from brambleberries (blackberries?) reduced to a paste and applied to the cut (tried by myself and seemed to work, even though it's always hard to determine if the cutting would have set roots by itself or if the homones helped) and "willow water" which seems to have been used a lot and for a long time.

MorningDew : Happy to know that Cinnamon didn't stop your seeds from sprouting!

Whooaah, we met a soup tree!

audiohi

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 12:44:11 PM »

I do use cinnamon sometimes and it does seem to help. Currently using it in closed Tupperware containers to germ cacti and Calea Zacatechichi. No issues with germination

nugninja

• Big day today! Good luck out there!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 11:03:26 PM »

OnandOnandOn   Im not sure if they apply to cacti but I have heard of a few natural rooting hormone sources: willow water (Salasilic acid i suppose?) and honey.  It is also possible that coconut water contains cytokinins, which can be useful in tissue cultures so that could apply somehow. I get little packs of cloning powder from a buddy's work for more official uses.

Inyan

• Trading Score: +28
  • Find what makes you happy and do it.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 01:38:43 PM »

I try my best to germinate my Trichocereus seeds in full sunlight in the green house... so they turn very fat and very bright purple at the start. I will stray from this on occasion, but I get my best seedlings for grafting that way. The purple will eventually go away as the seedlings are grafted and explode with nice green growth. I germinate my Trichocereus seeds in anything from water soaked garden soil to composted cow manure, it really doesn't seem to matter so long as they are grafted right away which is my usually approach to most seedlings.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.