Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Transplanting Wild Lettuce - Texas  (Read 3154 times)

Lolapony

Transplanting Wild Lettuce - Texas
« on: April 06, 2018, 05:17:38 PM »

Hi All,

I’ve found some websites for foraging wild lettuce, but wanted to see if anyone had any tips/tricks for it. I plan on going on a little hiking adventure this weekend and need some help on the best way transplant if I find any.

Thanks in advance.

Christina
Cheers!

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
Re: Transplanting Wild Lettuce - Texas
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 04:26:50 AM »

It's got a tap root so dig deep, otherwise its a weed you should not have a problem.

I dont know about Tx but in Ny its to early to get a proper ID.

theirs also a very closely related species with similar uses you may want to keep a eye out for, and natural hybrids.
III%

Lolapony

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 02:52:11 PM »

It's got a tap root so dig deep, otherwise its a weed you should not have a problem.

I dont know about Tx but in Ny its to early to get a proper ID.

theirs also a very closely related species with similar uses you may want to keep a eye out for, and natural hybrids.

Guess I’ll pack the shovel! Thanks for the help!
Cheers!

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 06:38:19 AM »

Water loss is the killer, both while transporting and after planting.
Remove some big leaves from it, put it in a plastic bag or something with a sprinkle of water while transporting and water DEEP every day for several days after planting.
What I do is make deep watering jugs, my area is hot and dry and these have saved many plants. Get a gallon jug, cut a big filling hole in the top while leaving the handle intact, on a corner [I do the handle-corner for consistency] almost on the bottom surface drill a 1/16" or 3/64" hole, debur it if possible, then you just fill the jug and it'll sort of pee out the water in half an hour, this lets the water soak in real deep and wet the whole planted root. This is how you can feed a single plant a gallon of water while only making a 3" wide wet spot.