Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Banisteriopsis caapi propagation  (Read 14136 times)

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
Banisteriopsis caapi propagation
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:54:49 AM »

This thread from the nexus seems to describe the propagation of caapi well

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=28795

Hope it helps :)
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
Re: Banisteriopsis caapi propagation
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 02:32:44 AM »

Thanks for the link. This thread can serve for members to share their experiences about B. Caapi propagation, since we don't have any dedicated thread yet. Hopefully we'll be able to compile our own information here in STS.

Saludos,

Mandrake

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +9
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:51:31 PM »

Hopefully we'll be able to compile our own information here in STS.

i don't think anyone here will ever have as comprehensive a knowledge of banisteriopsis as ringworm, but for what it's worth my muricata is growing rapidly enough to where i am considering taking cuttings in the near future.

will certainly provide an update when i do (my goal is to get a good 5 or so cuttings to be well-established, and use all 6 plants as mothers for sharing cuttings for purposes of terraformation)
0 = -1 + 1
no thing = thing + unthing.
an infinite fractality of duality divided out of nothingness.
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

the bong is my wind instrument

gator

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +12
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 10:19:10 PM »

Ive been growing Cielo for a few years and haven't had much success propagating it, using ringworms technique or my own. What I have found to work every time tho, is to simple bend down one of your vine shoots and bury a node in a pot, keeping it connected to the plant until enough roots form. I have been able to clone some branches by plucking them straight into the growing medium and placing them in a humid dome. For the latter technique, it seems as if the semi hardwood shoots work the best, as opposed to young green shoots are woody ones. I think by taking a more woody shoot, and placing it in a glass of water for a week, allowing the bark to soften a little before placing it in the soil , may help it to form roots. Ive also had success by just putting shoots in a glass of water and letting them sit for a month, but maybe only 10%, or 5 of the shoots ive tried. Its still hit or miss for me. I'm still after a more proven technique and am open to  any suggestions.

PermieGing

• Trader
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 11:14:47 PM »

Wow

Thats very simple and i bet it works well!

Maybe cutting the end a tad that you plan on burying will help rooting
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 05:30:13 AM »

billy, have you tried woody cuttings instead of the green shoots?
0 = -1 + 1
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

gator

• Trader
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »

Wow

Thats very simple and i bet it works well!

Maybe cutting the end a tad that you plan on burying will help rooting

Yes, Ive tried scraping the bark away a little bit.

billy, have you tried woody cuttings instead of the green shoots?

Yes, the woody cuttings seem to root less often than the semi woody cuttings, for me anyway. I think by putting the woody cuttings in water for a week softens the wood and helps roots to shoot out.

I haven't been using any rooting hormone on any of my cuttings.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:46:49 AM by Mandrake »

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 08:01:33 AM »

are you saying you tried water soaks, or are you saying that could be a possible improvement on your method?

also i do have some rooting hormone, so maybe that will help.

it is weird tho, every source has said woody cuttings root better, so you are the first person to say green cuttings root better.

now i am not sure which kind of cutting i should attempt, lol.
0 = -1 + 1
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

gator

• Trader
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 10:05:10 AM »

are you saying you tried water soaks, or are you saying that could be a possible improvement on your method?
I think a water soak helps the woodier cuttings to root.
it is weird tho, every source has said woody cuttings root better, so you are the first person to say green cuttings root better.

now i am not sure which kind of cutting i should attempt, lol.
Semi woody cutting that still have new growth appear to work best for me.
You should try an experiment w/ different types and let us know which rooted faster, or worked the best.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:39:32 AM by Mandrake »

PermieGing

• Trader
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 02:50:39 PM »

i seem to remember something about good honey(big difference there) is a great organic rooting hormone??

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 03:25:48 PM »

A quick Google search reveals that there are other sources which suggest that honey can work as a rooting hormone if diluted in a 2-1 water-honey ratio, most sites suggest it's because honey is great as inhibiting infections as well as honey's hygroscopic properties working to it's advantage. I've used standard rooting hormone (indole-3-butyric acid 1%) but using honey as an alternative intrigues me.

I wonder if someone would be willing to test honey's effectiveness compared to standard rooting hormones, if someone has a plant capable of propagating w/ cuttings they could take a few for each a control group (no hormones or honey) and one for each 'experiment group' to see which works better.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:29:15 PM by TBM »

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 05:18:53 PM »

Just an observation from a single cutting that I'm rooting at the moment. It's semi hardwood for the first couple inches, then there was a branch with a green shoot that was actively growing. I'm just starting to see root formation after about 3 weeks using rooting hormone in water. I noticed that the roots are coming  from the green portion and not the semi-hardwood portion of the cutting. So I thought that was interesting..

I'd love to test the water/honey/rooting hormone thing out, though I don't have enough similar shoots from a single plant to give it a fair test at the moment. Though I might be able to do one in each, and repeat the test a couple times as I get more shoots.

PermieGing

• Trader
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 06:23:32 PM »

I cant stress enough, there is a HUGE difference in honey quality; so obviously ffor this, you want the best

I saw a youtube vid where they were propagating cannabis cuttings with honey

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 06:42:49 PM »

Agreed.

I have a 5 gal pail of organic wildflower honey (I brew mead with it)...It smells like heaven when I open it. It seems like quality honey, not like the stuff you get in the little bears at the grocery store for sure!

I also have a hive... but I don't know if we'll harvest from them this year.. gotta open it up and see how they're doing=)

While I'm waiting on my caapi plants to grow some more, maybe I'll give it a shot with something I have an abundance of... like passion flower or hops. Not that passion flower is terrible difficult to root, but I could start dozens of cuttings from what I have growing now.  If honey stands out above the control group and/or rooting hormone,  that might suggest it would work well for caapi too.

What do you think? Is it worth a shot or are the plants just too different for it to make any assumptions based on the results from a different plant?

PermieGing

• Trader
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 07:47:59 PM »

Sounds like a great start! Maybe 10 or so other species of plant could add to the credability, for sure!

We just need a control group of greaaat honey. Of course organic :)

Beekeeping is a great hobby. There is a total of 8 at my house, make pleeenty of honey :) that being said, this year wasnt the best. To much rain.

I think we got an experiment on our hands
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:52:02 PM by PermieGing »

Pages: [1] 2