Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: SRN database dump ok?  (Read 4099 times)

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
SRN database dump ok?
« on: August 01, 2017, 12:31:25 AM »

Plant Science has no stated moderator so I'm just asking here  :P
The Salvia Research Network is a long-defunct project out of the University of Wisconsin-Madison in which their main focus was a listing of observed chromosome counts for a large number of species of the genus Salvia. I cloned their database before it vanished from the internet a decade ago.
Would anyone object to me converting that database's chromosome count tables to this format and dumping it in a new thread in Plant Science. It looks like I'll get the whole database fit into 8 or 10 posts.

I've been wanting to do something with this database for years and a recently reported paper on the chemotaxonomy of some Salvia species made me think now would be good. Knowing chromosome counts can assist in constructing interspecific hybridization strategies for breeding new Salvias with targeted botanical and phytochemical properties, naturally  ;)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: SRN database dump ok?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »

Since the forum allows attachement of files, you might want to look into the possibility of uploading a file in a format that suits the data, be that a SQL or MongoDB, or pdf or excel whatever...

You might want to check if the data is indexed in archive.org , if so your fear of loss may find releave.

Luckily counting chromosomes is not rocket science theese days as suitable fixatives and dyes are known.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 03:05:31 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
Re: SRN database dump ok?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 07:08:15 PM »

Yeah, archive.org indexed them. The fear wasnt so much loss as obscurity, you'd have to know exactly what to look for to find the data there.
If information exists on a dusty shelf, but is never used, it is only a comfort to university professors  ;)

Good idea on the .pdf, I could do that if requested. For now I'll just post as a quick reverence.