Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Unsure of T. Bridgesii  (Read 3394 times)

cactusjames

Unsure of T. Bridgesii
« on: June 19, 2017, 06:19:33 PM »

Hey all!

I have ordered from a certain website(not a "shady" one, but a family owned/clean cut kind of place) that specializes in cacti/succulents. I won't list the name of the website as I am not sure if I am allowed to do that.

Anyway, this website, which I will call "TSS' for "ease-of-writing purposes" pretty much only sells PC T. pachanoi, T. bridgesii, T. peruvianus, T. spachianus, Myrtillocactus Geometrizans, and Cereus Peruvianus as far as cacti go. Their pachanoi are DEFINITELY the typical PC pach's, which I have bought a few of for ornamental and grafting purposes, I haven't bought a T. peruvianus but the ones they show in their pictures don't quite seem to be what I have come to learn what a peruvianus should look like(but I'm not sure), and as far as I know...the T. bridgesii they sell actually IS a true T. bridgesii.

But I have been having some doubts about their bridgesii(which I have purchased 3 of over a period of time) and confusion as to if there are 2 different kinds of bridgesii that look somewhat similar but actually are two different plants(not including any monstrose or cristata forms). So if someone could check out the pics of my bridgesii below and tell me exactly what kind of plant they think this is I would be forever in your debt( I am a stickler when it comes to knowing and labeling my plants correctly).

Thanks!

Pics...

1. Right out of the box w/ yardstick
2. Whole plant w/ pups after planting in terracotta pot.
3. Top view of main column.
4. Top view of larger pup.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:32:23 PM by cactusjames »

misplant

• Trading Score: +81
Re: Unsure of T. Bridgesii
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:33:29 PM »

plant in question is a bridgesii

wait til you have 10-15 different bridges and each showing similar but different characteristics & all growing in the same general vicinity.............
www.misplant.net

Life is short, Eat Dessert First

cactusjames

Re: Unsure of T. Bridgesii
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 07:38:27 PM »

plant in question is a bridgesii

wait til you have 10-15 different bridges and each showing similar but different characteristics & all growing in the same general vicinity.............

Thank you for your response! Much appreciated!

I was kind of worried that all of my bridgesii's(which have all come from that same source "TSS") weren't actually bridgesii because I've been doing more and more research and it seems that a lot of other VERY knowledgeable people(like on shaman australis) think that bridgesii usually have more spines all the way down the column of the plant that are long, but the same length(and a bit shorter than mine)...and mine seems to have random length spines. Although, to be fair, my cactus in the pics came with a lot of the spines trimmed off for shipping purposes. Do you think that may be why I am freaking out?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:40:01 PM by cactusjames »