Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: GMO - Mad scientist or Pure genius  (Read 2929 times)

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
GMO - Mad scientist or Pure genius
« on: March 10, 2017, 10:25:03 PM »

Unlike most other issues, my opinion of GMOs is still undecided.  I just don't know enough to make an informed opinion and like most hotly debated issues these days, the truth is obscured by fake news and I don't have the resources or time to examine the primary sources so I remain ignorant and without a position.

However, this article does a good job showing the work and patience that goes into selecting and modifying genes the old fashioned way.  So is this guy a villain or a hero?

http://mentalfloss.com/article/57818/10-crazy-creations-plant-wizard-luther-burbank

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
Re: GMO - Mad scientist or Pure genius
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 11:04:59 PM »

Check out the TTAC and get their documentaries if you wanna see some real science on GMO's...
Spreading love!

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 01:08:41 AM »

I am currently looking into the applications of CRISPR/CAS9 gene editing technologies regarding the transplantation of gene clusters which encode for the biosynthesis of valuable phytochemicals from the genomes of their native plants/animals, and into the DNA of rapidly growing micro-organisms (e.g. E. Coli, Yeast, etc.). If you haven't heard of it already, i'd suggest you read this article and its supplementary info! Genetic Engineering has been thrown into a full-blown renaissance due to the development of this technology!

http://www.nature.com/news/crispr-the-disruptor-1.17673

http://www.neb.com/tools-and-resources/feature-articles/crispr-cas9-and-targeted-genome-editing-a-new-era-in-molecular-biology

If real science is what you want, i'd suggest PubMed, Google Scholar, legitimate, peer-reviewed scientific articles in the Literature. Given the nature of my current IRL research projects and studies, I may be able to help others access full texts of documents on this subject if needed.

Happy reading,
Mangrove
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 01:16:09 AM by Mangrove »
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 11:01:05 AM »

Greenmed.org is also a great place to read studies on natural medicine. A huge conglomeration of studies on plant based health studies compiled by a very cool guy named Sayer Ji.
Spreading love!

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 02:44:28 PM »

There is nothing inherently wrong or dangerous about GMO as a technology. It is more the way in which it can be (mis)used that can cause problems. For example, one of the primary uses of the technology by corporate america is to create food crops that are resistant to herbicides (Roundup ready). That way, farmers can apply tons of herbicide to control weeds without damaging the crops. Then these chemicals make their way into streams and rivers causing environmental damage.

Another potentially problematic use of GMO is altering food crops so that they produce their own insecticide. From an environmental perspective, this is potentially a good thing. Now the farmer doesn't have to apply any insecticide to the crop. But, of course, great care must be taken to ensure that it is safe for consumption.

Furthermore, these types of GMO make it easier to grow food as mono-culture which are environmentally damaging. If you have ever been to the american midwest, you have no doubt seen the vast expanses of nothing but corn and soybean fields. This type of agriculture causes extensive breakdown of soil structure resulting in erosion and loss of vital top soil. Nutrients are extensively depleted making manure and synthetic fertilizer application essential. Again, all of the runoff makes its way into streams, rivers, and eventually the ocean. Just look at the increasing size of the anoxic zone in the Gulf of Mexico.

Even conventional plant breeding can lead to food crops that have negative health consequences. Take wheat for example. Modern day wheat is very different from wheat which was cultivated hundreds of years ago. It has been selectively bred for shorter stalks (better wind resistance) and bigger heads. As a consequence of this breeding, the chemical makeup of the plant has been altered as to make it harmful for many people (gluten sensitivity/ celiac).

Of course, its not all bad. GMO gave us glow in the dark fish and cats! Seriously though, there is a huge potential for good things to come of the technology. And, of course, huge potential for bad things to happen. It is a very complex issue.
Undergoing the formality of being alive.