Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Removal of marijuana from CSA.  (Read 3435 times)

GrowerAndaShower

• Trading Score: +31
Removal of marijuana from CSA.
« on: February 28, 2017, 09:45:08 PM »

It's on the table, if you're in the US and would like to be able to legally cultivate hemp/cannabis, contact your congressman/woman! House Bill 1227.
http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/local/garrett-bill-would-remove-marijuana-from-federal-controlled-substance-list/article_fda07e58-fd54-11e6-9f5a-374870babb50.html
https://tomgarrett.house.gov/media/press-releases/garrett-introduces-legislation-remove-marijuana-controlled-substances-list

Here's the email I sent to my congressman: Hello Congressman *Removed to hide where I'm from*.
My name is Firstname Lastname. I am one of your constituents, and I am asking you to vote with a resounding "YES" on the marijuana legalization bill 1227 introduced by 5th District Congressman Tom Garrett.
The legalization of Cannabis Sativa/Indica would present an immense benefit to the tax system and take money out of the hands of criminals and cartels who depend on its black market status. The war on drugs is and has been failing. Prohibition does not work. The way to protect people from a dangerous substance is not to make it illegal(which actually increases it's appeal for some), but to provide public education on the risks and allow people to make their own decisions. Alcohol prohibition did not work, and neither is Cannabis prohibition.
Legalization would also help keep it out of the hands of children. Drug dealers don't care how old you are, but the legal business who will lose their license to sell alcohol does everything they can to verify age, because they're at risk if they don't(of criminal charges and losing the license to sell). Ask any high schooler, weed is easier to get than alcohol, because the black market doesn't need to fill the alcohol niche.
Cannabis is also a relatively safe drug. Alcohol kills many more people every year. These deaths are caused by car accidents, by people becoming violent under the influence and killing someone, by falls caused by lack of balance/judgement, and by overdose. Not to mention the people killed by liver damage due to excessive drinking(a function of the extreme addictiveness of alcohol). Whereas Cannabis has been shown(tentatively I'll admit) to possibly make you a safer driver[http://www.4autoinsurancequote.com/uncategorized/reasons-why-marijuana-users-are-safe-drivers/]; Cannabis makes you less likely to be violent(smoke a joint and TRY to get mad); Cannabis is unlikely to make you trip and fall, as doses high enough to majorly upset your balance and coordination are just going to put you to sleep on the couch; and there is not one recorded death from an overdose of Cannabis(it takes over 1000 x the dose that gets you high to cause an overdose, as opposed to alcohol which only requires 10 x the dose to get drunk). Alcohol is also much more likely to interact with prescription medication in a dangerous way than Cannabis.
Beyond the above points, it's also a matter of personal liberty. What right does the government have to tell someone they can't use a natural, god-given plant? This is not a designer drug, or something cooked up in a lab somewhere like methamphetamine or XTC(not to mention the dangerous, seizure inducing synthetic cannabinoids that people turn to instead because "it's not illegal"). It's a natural plant that relieves pain and nausea; lifts your mood; reduces violent tendencies; fight's depression; and is already used by many many hard working, tax paying, otherwise law-abiding citizens here in Indiana and all over the country.
I know I'm not the only one emailing you about this, and I hope you make the right decision and give *Name_for_people_from_my_state* and Americans everywhere the ability to choose a safer, healthier alternative to the current legal intoxicants.

Thanks for taking the time to read my email,
Firstname Lastname.
Back with a vengeance! And TITS!

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
Re: Removal of marijuana from CSA.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 04:14:25 AM »

Doesn't mention Representative to not give away location and then says Indiana near the end... I would guess not many would even be able to tell the state if you listed your Rep, I wouldn't. 

I agree 100% but I would/will also lead with the liberty/personal choice angle. 

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 06:15:28 AM »

Life, Liberty and The pursuit of Happiness...
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

GrowerAndaShower

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 04:23:49 PM »

Doesn't mention Representative to not give away location and then says Indiana near the end... I would guess not many would even be able to tell the state if you listed your Rep, I wouldn't. 

I agree 100% but I would/will also lead with the liberty/personal choice angle.
Well, I missed that :P
My representative would narrow down my location a bit more, but I suppose it doesn't matter. Half the people on here have my home address anyway...

rakeandbake

• TF Mod
  • Trading Score: +181
  • In the moment.....
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 05:46:23 PM »

Thanks G&S. I agree about writing our congressional leaders. Unfortunately it's all we can do at the moment. I hope this time will be different but I have my doubts. This is the same thing we have attempted for years. I don't claim to have any magical ideas how to cure this problem. But I don't think sending my letter and hoping everyone else does their share is enough (which is my usual course of action). I mean we are all indeed in one spot here. I truly believe we have a collection of some of the most intelligent people in history. Can't we think of a new course of action for trying to remedy these unnecessary laws? Can't we band together in values, beliefs, and most importantly action?
Everyone carries a piece of the puzzle. Nobody comes into your life by mere coincidence. Trust your instincts. Do the unexpected. Find the others.
~Timothy Leary~

GrowerAndaShower

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:27:01 PM »

Writing in, convincing all your friends to write in, and starting ballot initiatives in the states where it's an option(which it's not here...) are all I know to do. Petitions? I don't knwo how much lawmakers actually care about petitions, they obviously don't care what we the people want. It also seems that they think they can make more money off the prison system than taxing it as a legal product. More "crime" = more reasons we need them, right?

My ideal country doesn't restrict it's citizens from putting anything into their bodies, and gives real information on what the effects of the substances is. Not fear mongering, but real information.

It would save lives, by giving the ability to get clean drugs(not cut with god knows what...), and prevent some people from using because they know the truth. People also wouldn't be ostracized as criminals and druggies, because the functioning, working drug users would come out and proudly say "Yeah, I take shrooms on the weekends and am still a functioning member of society."

I don't see THAT happening for a long long time, but maybe we can get Cannabis. And I could plant some of the hemp seeds I was sent a few months ago for food(have you tried hemp seeds? Nutty and delicious. I think Marsh has them) and fibers.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:28:55 PM by GrowerAndaShower »