Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: banisteriopsis advice?  (Read 12822 times)

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
Re: banisteriopsis advice?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 01:49:24 PM »

I'm guessing it's not humidity going by the historical weather data.. though when do you mist? Is there any chance there are water droplets lingering on the leaves when the plant would get any direct sunlight?

I had some similar problems a couple weeks ago. Mine got what I assumed was sunburn as well. it was getting a lot of direct sun and looked very similar to the 3rd photo with the yellow splotchiness that eventually turned brown. More so on the sunnier side of the plant. Since then I moved it out of my greenhouse and onto my covered porch where it gets maybe 2-3 hours of morning sun and then shade for the rest of the day. the sun-burn stopped advancing but never went away. I just don't think it can repair that damage. The following week was fairly low humidity here.. between 40-60% and it looked droopy and even dropped a couple of the worse off leaves.  I've been misting  in the evening  daily and it seems to be on the mend. Though growth has really stretched out.. It's probably getting too much shade now but I'd rather it search for more sun than have all it's leaves turn brown and crispy.

Oh, is it getting enough water? I had some trouble with crispy edges when I cut back on watering.

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 03:26:15 PM »

Normally when I notice mine looking sad its because it needs more water. Those things suck down some water once they get going. I probably need to repot mine. If I don't water it about every other day it starts getting droopy and sad looking.

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 05:21:45 AM »

Have you checked for aphids and mealy bugs? Ants almost never attack a plant but they do ¨farm¨ aphids for the sugars in their waste. 99% of the time ants are a sign of another pest.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:39:18 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +9
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »

yea, since i saw the ants, i had been vigilantly looking for bugs, but i have seen none.

the soil has been damp, so my guess is overwatering is more a concern than underwatering.

i am going to try the h202 dilution, and cut back on the water for a bit..

i still feel like i haven't quite gotten to the root of the issue, but at least i feel i might be able to keep it alive long enough to figure it out.
0 = -1 + 1
no thing = thing + unthing.
an infinite fractality of duality divided out of nothingness.
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

the bong is my wind instrument

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 08:04:08 AM »

so i found 3 different kinds of bugs (YIKES!) eating up my ayahuasca.
guess i wasn't vigilant enough before, but this explains the damage.

so hopefully they will be making a come back in the near future...

0 = -1 + 1
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

nobody

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 11:57:51 AM »

Got any pics of the bugs?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:38:33 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 12:39:48 PM »

Got any pics of the bugs?

nanashi

many, none of which were in focus.

here is the best of them.

there were different kinds of bugs too, but i had already scraped em off with a knife before i thought to take pictures.

vinegar dilute doesn't seem to being doing the trick as well as i'd hoped..any ideas?

also, i have a good way of killing ants (sugar-water + borax = delicious poison they bring back to the colony), would that be a good precaution to take?

prevent the ants from farming bugs?

they are eating the shit out of my ayahuasca, quite frankly, and i am quite flustered.
0 = -1 + 1
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

nobody

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 12:52:34 PM »

I can´t tell from the pic, are the bugs on the underside of the leaf? What color?

If they are on the underside and yellow or white without fuzzy bodies then they are aphids. Aphids are a terrible pest that will kill the plant by sucking out all the sugars produced by chlorophyll. They are easy to get rid of provided you have some patience and vigilance.

Get some neem oil, this does not kill the aphid but it does kill the eggs. Mix it according to the directions and add a few drops of soap, dish soap or insecticidal soap both work well. The addition of soap will increase the surface tension of the water, this suffocates the living aphids. Then spray the affected areas paying the most attention to the underside of leaves and the new growth. Repeat 3 times a week until they are all gone.

This has worked with mine BUT spot test this BEFORE spraying the entire plant, don´t want to harm the plant just the bugs.

The sugar water \ borax mixture is a good treatment for ants, DO NOT spray it on your plants though, it will kill them. Put it in a dish next to the base of the plant making sure not to spill it.

If the bugs have a fuzzy white coating on them then its mealy bugs and that is a completely different problem.

hope this helps
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:37:02 AM by nobody »

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 01:04:48 PM »

I can´t tell from the pic, are the bugs on the underside of the leaf? What color?
on that pic it is a reddish-brown bumpy looking thing on the stem.

there are some yellowy-orange spots (didn't quite look like bugs so much as a discolored spot - like a mini yellow barnacle) on the undersides of leaves, near the base, where the stem meets the leaf. which i pried off with a knife.

there were also some more bug-looking things which could have been eggs, or really small exo-skeletal bugs.

i am going to leave paper-towel soaked in sugar borax around the ground near my pots, get some neem oil, and keep up with the vinegar dilute regimen.

hopefully this plant will pull around.

also i took a cutting, so hopefully that pans out too.
0 = -1 + 1
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

nobody

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 01:17:23 PM »

not too sure what the thing on the stem is, pic is a little blurry. the barnacle like things are aphids, they range from small to very very very small. The best thing to do is put the brown thing on the stem in a jar and take it to a local nursery for id. Make sure to put it in a jar as i am sure they will freak out if you walk in with it just in your hand, lol.

hope the plant is okay in a couple weeks
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:36:41 AM by nobody »
Pages: 1 [2]