Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: banisteriopsis advice?  (Read 12539 times)

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +9
  • vibrational awareness
banisteriopsis advice?
« on: August 09, 2013, 10:27:28 AM »

hey, so i got a muricata on its way, and i was wondering if anyone has experience, or can offer any insight or tips for keeping it healthy.
0 = -1 + 1
no thing = thing + unthing.
an infinite fractality of duality divided out of nothingness.
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

the bong is my wind instrument

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
Re: banisteriopsis advice?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 02:44:41 PM »

Nice, I'm jealous=)

I'm not sure how muricata varies from the cielo or red variety that I'm used to, but they really don't seem too picky as long as they're given plenty of water.

I've had them in a variety of light conditions:
- Starting out in a window sill in my bathroom that was bright but got no direct sunlight, they seemed happy.
- Then as the weather got warmer I moved them outside to my greenhouse where I'd say they were in partial shade underneath the potting table.
- I tried moving them out into more sun slowly until they were almost in full sun. They still didn't seem unhappy, though I do think growth slowed a bit.

Then I started experimenting with how much water I gave them. I had been giving them water almost daily, but I cut back to maybe every few days and the soil would begin to dry out. That's when I noticed some leaf tips turning brown. I moved them back into partial shade and resumed daily watering  and they began growing quickly again. Though the spacing between leaves has increased so maybe it could actually use a little more sun than what it's getting. Or maybe it's that I've given it something to climb on now and it's just putting more energy into climbing and putting leaves out less frequently. 

I do think giving it something to climb on has made it  a happier plant.. it was falling all over itself before and once I put a bamboo stake in the pot for it, it immediately started wrapping around and going up. The branch that's latched on is the one that's showing the most growth.

I haven't done much in the way of fertilizing it other than some compost tea, adding left over coffee and coffee grounds to the soil to lower the PH, and recently I've started using hydrolyzed fish fertilizer.. haven't quite figured out how often I'm going to add that  yet though.

All that's based on about 6 months of my experience with them so take that all with a grain of salt. I may not actually know what I'm doing, but I haven't killed any yet:)

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 07:48:56 PM »

haven't quite figured out how often I'm going to add that  yet though.
Dilute it in water and then water the plant as usual.

Be careful adding to much coffee grounds, it can be bad if you give it too much.

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 12:51:35 AM »

so humidity isn't really to big an issue?
0 = -1 + 1
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 02:05:01 AM »

Yes, it is.

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 02:35:53 AM »

I live in north florida and mine does great outside just left alone. It definitely gets plenty of humidity here. Through the summer it rains almost every afternoon at least for a couple minutes. I water it whenever the soil starts to dry out, it gets droopy pretty fast if left in dry soil. I leave it in partial shade. It can easily grow out to full sun from where it is if it wants to, but seems to be doing good where I have it now.

Also, I haven't had this problem with b muricata or any of the ayahuacsa vine I currently have at my house, but I have moved one banisteriopsis caapi vine to my dads and it has been attacked by squirrels three times now. Twice last summer and now once this summer. His house is more so out in the woods and there are a lot more squirrels around there. There are also several stray cats that run around the neighborhood I live in now so that might be a factor. Anyways watch out for them they seem to know whats up, they passed over all of the other plants and went straight for the ayahuasca vine. 

Saros

• Trading Score: +48
  • (x²+y²-1)³-x²y³=0
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 03:34:53 AM »

It's certainly a consideration, though they don't seem *too* fussy about it. I haven't had to do anything special for them since i put them outside in the greenhouse sometime in April. Being in the greenhouse, the humidity is probably a tad higher than the air outside, but I leave the door and vents open and a fan comes on when the temperature reaches a certain point, so with all the air flowing through there, I don't think it makes a drastic difference. That's a bit of an assumption on my part because I haven't actually been measuring the humidity inside  the greenhouse

Since April, the humidity has averaged around 70% here. Sometimes above 90% and at other times below 50%

In the greenhouse they get a nightly misting when the sprinklers kick on. though I've only had that working for the past 3 weeks..  Before that I would give them a misting from the hose every 2-3 days. Less often than when I'd water them because I wasn't always around in the evening to mist and I didn't want water on the leaves during the day.

So it doesn't seem like daily misting is crucial as long as the soil is nice and moist... or maybe it would be if you live in a place with lower humidity..

gator

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +12
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 08:47:17 PM »

Im in zone 8. My Cielo Caapi is grown in pots, the largest and oldest being a pot w/ a 2' diameter. The soil is a mix of white sand I dug from the ground, pete moss, a bag of black cow, and black velvet mushroom compost. I put some red worms in the pot and covered w/ stones (broken artifacts, stones kept the squirrels out). I only water when I see the ends of the new vine shoots starting to wilt. I grow in full sun (6+ hrs) w/ the sun being 3 in the morning and 3 late in the evening. This plant has grown from a cutting to the size of the base being thicker than a broomstick in 3 years. Cover w/ bed sheets when it freezes. I leave it alone in the winter, only take cuttings in the warmer months when it's growing.

Also, I haven't had this problem with b muricata or any of the ayahuacsa vine I currently have at my house, but I have moved one banisteriopsis caapi vine to my dads and it has been attacked by squirrels three times now. Twice last summer and now once this summer. His house is more so out in the woods and there are a lot more squirrels around there.

I live in N Florida Zone 8 as well and have had huge problems w/ squirrels. The squirrels were chewing thru the base of almost all of my plants (not pepper). I think it has something to do w/ the moisture from watering the plants. I've tried a few squirrel ridding techniques. Covering around the base of  plants  w/ stones or fence, and putting a bowl of water out for the squirrels seemed to work best. Sprinkling hot pepper flakes around will keep them at bay temporarily.

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 03:44:26 AM »

HELP!

the yellowing i assumed was sunburn, as it happened after i tried to acclimate to to full sun, but has not gone away since i moved it to shade.

the brown spots (and dry, crinkly texture at the tip of the leaf) is fairly new (like, i didn't see it when i misted it all day yesterday), and i have no idea what it could be.

looking at the pictures, it almost appears there might be tiny bugs, but upon direct inspection, these white things look more like small trichomes or hairs (they are completely static)

up until now i wasn't worried about any damage on the leafs, as it had only appeared on old growth.
but the first two pictures are new leaves (as in, only grown since the plant has been in my possession)

these seems like a drastic amount of damage compared to an unnoticeable amount from a mere 24 hours ago.
as such i am quite concerned..
0 = -1 + 1
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Hibernating
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 03:51:29 AM »

I think its from low humidity.

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 03:57:59 AM »

I think its from low humidity.

i sincerely doubt that, it only has happened since i started misting it regularly.

before that it seemed to be fine with less humidity.

but i have been told that is what dry crinkly edges are indicative of
0 = -1 + 1
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 04:53:59 AM »

I thought it was pretty humid where you are.
Cactus = Life

Cane Blossom

• Trader
  • vibrational awareness
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 05:24:46 AM »

I thought it was pretty humid where you are.
its fairly humid, but the humidity is variable (its lows tend to be at mid-60s).
http://www.usa.com/kihei-hi-weather.htm#HistoricalHumidity - blue line in that chart

the only thing i can think of is spraying the leaves with diluted vinegar to ward off ants, yesterday.

but this doesn't account for why the damage is so localized, only affecting a couple leaves.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:27:44 AM by Harsh Van Nitpick »
0 = -1 + 1
Ex nihil panton fit

cogito, ergo... cogito

gator

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +12
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 01:41:51 PM »

Try misting w/ diluted hydrogen peroxide. Only use a few drops per 16 oz of water. I hope your plant didn't catch a disease!

PermieGing

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +11
  • Grow the future of humanity!
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 01:47:29 PM »

Try misting w/ diluted hydrogen peroxide. Only use a few drops per 16 oz of water. I hope your plant didn't catch a disease!

That sounds like it could be helpful.

Another angle to prevent disease would be to grow an extremely healthy plant. So maybe water it a bit with some compost and/or comfrey tea?? Couldnt hurt

Wish i could help more
“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.”  Bill Mollison

"You can solve all the worlds problems in a garden" Geoff Lawton
Pages: [1] 2