Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: L. williamsii seed germination?  (Read 6335 times)

TigerBeard

• "Too weird to live, too rare to die"
L. williamsii seed germination?
« on: January 03, 2017, 10:43:43 PM »

Hey so quick question. By now most of you should have seen my indoor grow box that I am currently growing my Kratom in. I wanted to know if that is an adequate invornment to germinate LW seeds? I made my latest improvement yesterday I believe or maybe two days ago can't quite remember but I threw two towels on top of the box and covered the upper half so there was more insulation between the plants and the temperature in my room. It worked better then I thought it would and increased the inner temperature from 72°F-76°F to now 76°F-82°F! And I am now seeing even fast rates of growth just in day from the kratom! So I currently have two 1 gal pots with about 12 L. williamsii seeds in each. I bought a cactus potting soil blend and mixed some lime into it to increase the pH. After I soaked the soil and let it thoroughly drain and then put the seeds on the top and gently sowed them into the soil about a millimeter or two down. After I put humidity domes on the top of each pot to try and trap some heat and moisture. Each day I take the domes off for a couple hours and monitor them just to make sure they are getting adequate air and yet still retain the humidity. So far I believe it's been like 3 days since I've sown the seeds. Is this a proper germinating environment that I have created for these little seeds and if so how long should it be from today until I begin seeing the seeds germinate? Any and all info and pointers to increase germination is welcome and requested thank you all for being awesome individuals and helping me with the questions I have had so far :)

Ps for those who have not seen my set up with the LW seeds and pots I will attempt to attach a pic of it from my phone but it may come out side ways again. Also I believe in this picture I have taken the plastic humidity domes off the two pots to air it out, but for the most part they are on usually on for the majority of the day.
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit"

oplopanax

• Trading Score: +139
Re: L. williamsii seed germination?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 10:52:17 PM »

They should germ in that environment.

The main factor seems to be how fresh the seeds are. Do you know how old they are?

I have had them take up to 3 weeks to germ.
No living organism should be illegal.

TigerBeard

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 12:29:58 AM »

I'm not sure how old they are but I've heard that they can last years if properly stored. Is there anything I need to be doing with them until the point of germination other then what I am doing now: (sitting there and venting the humidity dome for a few hours a day with a 16/8 lights on/off cycle)?

oplopanax

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 01:50:48 AM »

I dont think so, make sure they dont dry out.

TigerBeard

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 02:40:16 AM »

Ok I'll keep it moist the only issue I see happening is a slight fuzzy type mold development going on with the soil and some of the organic matter in it is that harmful and is there a way to stop it?

oplopanax

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 07:03:14 PM »

Well, the way to avoid that is to sterilize your soil before you sow the seeds.

I don't really know of a way to get rid of it once it is there, but maybe someone else does.

Yes, this can kill the baby cacti. "Damping off".

TigerBeard

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 02:01:36 AM »

Dang man ok well next time I will sterilize it for now I'm just going to keep my eye on it and pray to God that these little guys grow up strong and fast!!

oplopanax

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 07:15:33 PM »

Yea, this round might be a learning process which is fine.

TigerBeard

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 08:35:10 PM »

I've had three of them germinate yesterday! I'm hoping to see a few more today we will see how far along they come I'll post some pictures soon!

ueihtam

• Trader
  • Trading Score: 10
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 02:41:45 PM »

how goes your loph? i have 91 caespitosa and an unknown number of standar williamsii maybe 60-70

here is maybe a crested or a mutant monstrose but he is still young to say so
« Ils ont essayé de nous enterrer. Ils ne savaient pas que nous étions des graines » - proverbe mexicain.

"They tried to bury us. They did not know we were seeds "- Mexican proverb.

TigerBeard

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 05:42:55 PM »

Wow that little one is looking excellent! The ones I have now are super finnicy. I've lost a few and they are very temperamental but I'm still trying different techniques with them to try and find a sweet spot. If you have any extras laying around that you don't want I would love to gather some more and try a different lighting.

FlamingBabies

• Trading Score: +6
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 11:23:33 PM »

how goes your loph? i have 91 caespitosa and an unknown number of standar williamsii maybe 60-70

Looks like it's throwing a pup out. Not uncommon for caespitosas to pup as seedlings.

ueihtam

• Trader
  • Trading Score: 10
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 07:26:52 PM »

Looks like it's throwing a pup out. Not uncommon for caespitosas to pup as seedlings.

it is throwing 6 pup at the same time and it look monstruous or wiches broom
« Ils ont essayé de nous enterrer. Ils ne savaient pas que nous étions des graines » - proverbe mexicain.

"They tried to bury us. They did not know we were seeds "- Mexican proverb.