Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: wood lovers getting ready for winter...  (Read 5477 times)

mj

• Trading Score: +54
wood lovers getting ready for winter...
« on: November 30, 2016, 08:18:54 PM »

I have a few of types of wood loving mycelium growing outdoors and winter is just about here. One of these is from a bag of spawn that Sporehead (RIP) sent to me and the others were gifted by Skunk and Trichocereus. The mycelium that will stay out for the winter are freshly fed with hardwood pellets (alder maple and birch) which have been hydrated and mixed in with some Scotts Nature Scapes. The beds can rest up over the winter now with a thick blanket of cardboard inside their camping coolers waiting for the spring.
   The rest of my mycelium is in small plastic totes outside which I will bring inside very soon to continue growing out so I can add it back into the outdoor beds in the spring for a jump start on the season. I had thought that mycelium growth would slow down when the temperatures got lower but the mycelium seems to do really well in the near freezing temperatures when there are no competitive bacteria or molds to deal with. It looks thick strong and very healthy. A fascinating organism. Mushrooms don't need much and they are happy to be left alone to do what they do so that makes them very easy to grow for a forgetful person such as myself, I highly recommend others who have not to give some mushrooms try. mj.

mj

Re: wood lovers getting ready for winter...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 08:38:27 AM »

I am constantly amazed by these organisms. It is only two days since I introduced a brand new food source to them and the mycelium is already on the fresh wet hardwood sawdust and is eating it today and it has not gone above freezing since I mixed it into the totes. They found the sawdust identified it as viable food and generated enzymes to digest and got down to business. I just love how these mushrooms grow. Send them some good fruiting "vibes" and maybe I will have fruits for Christmas. I am looking forward to growing out a good stock of mycelium to use in the spring in my outdoor beds. mj.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 06:21:57 AM by mj »

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 10:37:54 AM »

In my experience in zone 4 i dont get fruit until the second year. No fruit this year yet. Maybe too dry of a growing season. Keep us updated. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you want to discuss it. I have been growing wood lovers fo a long time. :)
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 02:00:50 AM »

Always been curious about wood loving species. I recently inoculated an oak log with blue oyster dowels and perhaps in the next year or two they might pop. Hopefully I'm still here to see it if it works out but no worries if not. Wherever I end up I'm totally gonna start new logs. Not sure if blue oyster will grow well here anyway but it was cheap and I was too tempted to grow something new. Otherwise I've only grown dung loving species...

Like those dung lovers though I've wanted to see wood lovers of the same genus in real life. Not sure if FL is practical to grow those kinda wood lovers here. Someday maybe I'll be in an environment more suited to them and I'll try. Wouldn't mind some for ID purposes though if they are available out there somewhere! Could find something dung loving to share for ID purposes sake...

Sorry if I'm straddling the edge of the rules here...
Spreading love!

mj

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 06:51:38 AM »

In my experience in zone 4 i dont get fruit until the second year. No fruit this year yet. Maybe too dry of a growing season. Keep us updated. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you want to discuss it. I have been growing wood lovers fo a long time. :)

Will do. I am just growing them as well as I can and I think I am doing ok so I am not going to be in a rush they do what they do. will get back to you as questions arise. This is year one for me and I started rather late in the season about the end of May. So no fruiting here so far and probably not til next fall 2017. Thanks again. mj.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:45:15 PM by mj »

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 04:07:51 PM »

The fun type wood lovers rip through wood chips. Very little maintenence. As for logs im happy to share any of my cultures for anyone whos interested in growing culinary. Reishi, oyster, lions maine ect. I have a huge culture library. I have some reishi wood chip spawn ready to go if anyone wants to grow on sawdust. Best medicinal easy to grow.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 04:26:19 PM by FewTrueSeed »
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/