Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help with ID. - A. peregrina or colubrina??  (Read 10537 times)

Shpongle Lover

• Trading Score: +3
Help with ID. - A. peregrina or colubrina??
« on: August 01, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »

I've had quite a lot of these seeds for long enough that I've forgotten their source and how they were identified by the seller(s).  The picture accurately depicts the size and shape of the seeds, but due to poor lighting, fails to accurately reproduce the color, which is a deep chocolate brown.  I've checked on-line images and am leaning towards A. colubrina.

Unfortunately I MAY have made two separate purchased and combined the seeds in one container, further adding to the confusion.  Sorry about that.

This morning I placed six seeds in a baggie between two moistened napkins to check on viability, and will report back on any growth.  Meanwhile, opinions or referral to a definitive source to properly ID the seeds would be most appreciated.
You say you want a change, then make a change.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
Re: Help with ID. - A. peregrina or colubrina??
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 10:05:15 PM »

Good luck on the test germ there SL. IME they lose viability pretty quickly, like over a year or so. YMMV.

Also if I'm not mistaken the thin, larger dia seeds are peregrina whilst the thicker smaller ones are colubrina. Also colubrina are a lighter shade of brown than the almost mahogany brown of peregrina. To my eye the ones you've got there look like peregrina. Would have to doublecheck references to be sure though; things get kinda hazy over the years...

Oh here's one. Schultes' Botany and Chemistry of Hallucinogens says that peregrina seeds  are : "very thin, flat, orbicular to suborbicular, 10-20 mm in diameter, brown to black, nitid." Voogelbriender says something similar.

I'll see what I can come up with for colubrina.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:25:35 AM by Bach »
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Shpongle Lover

• Trading Score: +3
Re: Help with ID. - A. peregrina or colubrina??
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:50:28 AM »

Wait till you get to be MY age.  Then the only way you will be able to accurately remember what you ate for breakfast is to eat the same thing EVERY morning!   ;D
You say you want a change, then make a change.