Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Medical plants for Depression relief?  (Read 13817 times)

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
Re: Medical plants for Depression relief?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 12:03:34 AM »

Dr. Dukes Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Databases is an interesting resource.  Try this search already selected for plants and depression: https://phytochem.nal.usda.gov/phytochem/ethnoActivity/show/582
Clicking on the plant name provides further information and references in some cases.

I also suggest try the unselected link for the full experience:
https://phytochem.nal.usda.gov/phytochem/search/list

Seems fairly useful for research purposes.
 :)
Looks nice,
But why is it mulfunctioning often when searching for a chem or effect or plant?

@Mangrove:
Dude are you a Muslim?

BTW,
Does anyone here have any reports/stories/resources/etc of P.harmala being really attempted for depression relief by someone somewhere sometime?

Everywhere I go I just read it "has" anti-depressant activities, but I can't find any user/patient/research report anywhere of its application for this purpose.

The same is true for its claimed help in "opiate withrawal symptoms" relief.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 12:03:59 AM by Radium »
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

mj

• Trading Score: +54
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 01:00:42 AM »

syrian rue contains a strong maoi component so yes that is a common chemical used to treat depression but it does not work for everyone. easy enough to try. search maoi use for depression there is lots of information. at a guess 1/16 -1/8 gram of ground seed a day but I am guessing but in the ball park best o check and to start low work up.

mj

• Trading Score: +54
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 01:07:35 AM »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3841998/

http://www.drugs.com/npp/syrian-rue.html

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1516-syrian%20rue.aspx?activeingredientid=1516&activeingredientname=syrian%20rue

Turmeric also contains maoi's and if you eat a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of that a day with your food it should help improve your mood and keep your blood on the thinner side which is good if you consume a lot of fat (as in if you are a meat eater) Low fat consumption in my book is below 10 grams of fat a day. Turmeric tastes better than rue also and is to me less upsetting to the stomach  you can take it with ginger (fresh) good for you also.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 01:18:23 AM by mj »

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 01:20:50 AM »

the MOA of MOAI is one of the body's defenders, the I in MAOI inhibits these defenses which in the case of depression allow a maximum amount of the body's naturally produced serotonin to reach the brain, thus the natural and safe relief from depression

hope this helps
-Ian

I know it does for me

Hummingbird

• Trading Score: 74
  • Got nectar?
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 02:27:09 AM »

syrian rue contains a strong maoi component so yes that is a common chemical used to treat depression but it does not work for everyone. easy enough to try. search maoi use for depression there is lots of information. at a guess 1/16 -1/8 gram of ground seed a day but I am guessing but in the ball park best o check and to start low work up.

syrian rue is neuroprotective and works wonders for brain chemistry  ;D antidepressant effects can be felt weeks after dosing, if taken regularly before. it builds reverse tolerance and synergizes with many other stuff.
it is proven to be effective as an anti depressant, and is overall a way underrated plant in my experience. I agree MAOIs are an unique group of antidepressants, it should be researched first.

tons of info:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3841998/

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 02:32:22 AM »

Some links claim that Syrian Rue is used as treatment for depression in Yemen.

Like previously mentioned be VERY careful if you are taking any other medication as the combination may be fatal.  You should consult with your doctor if you have clinical depression as not being treated properly may not be wise.

FDA disclaimer
"These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These plants are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease."
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2016, 03:29:32 AM »

Looks nice,
But why is it mulfunctioning often when searching for a chem or effect or plant?

Don't know.  Seems to work fine for me.  What search term is causing problems?  I'll see if I get the same error.
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Mangrove

• Li'l Lorax
  • Trading Score: +191
  • We're all here because we're not all there.
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 04:24:11 AM »

@Mangrove:
Dude are you a Muslim?

No. I was born a jew, raised a jew from bris to bar-mitzvah, then decided to abandon the faith after further researching Israel's apartheid quasi-fascist government and widespread repression & inhumane displacement of indigenous non-jewish populations just to make room for the "chosen people" to re-occupy the land they used to before the Romans cast them out into the desert and burned down Solomon's temple. I find that self-exploration via entheos, romance/relationships, interactions with the world around me and being a kind being to be much more fulfilling than going to Shul. Recent explorations via entheos over the past several years have also taught me well to honor the God within each and every one of us, and to find our own inner state of eternal smadhi where the soul lies in the Elysian fields of blissful peace is where the real God/self is at. IMO & IME, religion is a means of separating me from God.

I am, however, curious to hear moar about your own religious views. Are you a practicing Mohammedan? IF so, what sect. If not, why not? What impact does Shi'ite culture have on your family/community and what do you think of the current regime in charge of your country? I'm curious to see how opinions & religious beliefs differ among different people in different parts of the world. Since I am more American and materialistic than others, I view religions as money-grubbing cults, for the most part. Salvation is immaterial; it cannot be bought, no matter how much money one contributes to their own synagogue/mosque/church/"house of god." Jesus was an awesome guy. He healed the sick for free, fed thousands on a shoe-string budget, and performed miracles out the wazoo. I just don't like his fan club, nor the dogma they have come to adopt and blindly live by.

Remember how our sister website can't help but jackhammer the fact that MAOI + Amphetamine = Death? Well guess what, the same thing might apply in the case of methylphenidate. Again, talk with a Dr. Before eating any Syrian Rue (RIMA) or taking any other significant mood/health-changing substance until you consult with an actual doctor.

Further, to paraphrase Mangrove:  Don't seek medical advice from plant geeks. :)

Speaking of "urban poor-man's anti-depressant remedies" why not suggest such a poor man see a doctor (given that most governments offer free/socialized healthcare, I'm sure this would be a viable option for the poor peoples of MOST countries), take a look at the average cost of a dose/session of every pharmaceutical drug and homeopathic therapy w/antidepressant capabilities and tabulate cost results in a spreadsheet for us to mull over? There are dozens of ways of treating depression, some options involving pharmacotherapy with either prescribed pharmaceuticals or herbal remedies, others involving more alternative methods such as massage, moodlights, etc. it's important to consider the costs of each therapy based on its own unique properties (e.g. avg cost of pill/herbal dose, cost of therapy session, cost of mood-lights or other anti-depressant devices, etc.)in order to evaluate economic effectiveness for the less-fortunate among us. I eagerly await the results of your research :)
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.--Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2016, 02:12:40 PM »

First of all, I'm not even coming near any recommendation here, but P.harmala has RIMA (reversible inhibitors of MAO_A) compounds, not irreversible non-selective MAOIs (like Nardil).

That means while MAO_A is inhibited and the levels of dopamine/norepinephrine/serotonin (and also most of drugs you've gulped) will rise, the tyramine levels still remain constant, since the MAO_B is still erect and raping tyramine's little heXXXic arse.

I've heard (and also confirm myself) that ingesting raw whole P.harmala seeds (I mean not ground or crushed or chewed) feels more clean and gentle.
But requires more seeds to be ingested in caps.
What's the usual dose of seeds (not extracts) for depression in grams?

AND the BIG question:
Is there any data on the side-effects of gulping down P.harmala seeds for depression over long-term?
Like kidney failure or anything?

Mangrove,
There's no account of dinosaurs in Abrahamic religions (while there's lots of bragging about the creation of cows, birds, fishes, and even ants and bees!)
And while God "almighty peace be upon him oh my good lord whatever" claims he has finally created a flawless creature called man (his masterpiece), he asks us stupid mortals to fix a little leftover bug down the pants ourselves via circumcision...
So yeah, for these solid reasons, I get religious as hell when I realize how caring he is, paying attention to every detail and even being careful not to boogie us with his scary previous sandbox monsters we call dinosaurs, so not telling us anything about them.
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »

Be mindful with our posts, with some of what's being discussed there is plenty of room to accidentally offend or upset other members.   :D

AcaciaAve

• West Coast Zone 8b
  • Trading Score: +166
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2016, 08:06:34 PM »

Peganum Harmala(Syrian Rue)
Should be growing wild in your area Radium.
If you have a crockpot simmer a few grams of dried seeds on medium-high over night and sip in the morning
 :)
Grow Phalaris grass
Climb Acacia Trees
Pages: 1 [2]