Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Beneficial nematodes..  (Read 4541 times)

Biotopia

• Trader
  • Trading Score: 13
Beneficial nematodes..
« on: April 05, 2016, 01:38:43 AM »

Just curious if anyone has person experience with these.. I had a grub problem in my lawn last fall so I bought a pack containing Steinernema carpocapsae, Steinernema feltiae, and Heterohabditis bacteriophora.  I bought some wax worms from the bait shop and inoculated them to hopefully expand the populations.  I'll post back with updates.

Nematodes attack!
"Only plants had consciousness. Animals got it from them." -D Pendell

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
Re: Beneficial nematodes..
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 02:45:44 AM »

Fascinating how quickly they go to work.  How did you know which type of predator insect to release?
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Biotopia

• Trader
  • Trading Score: 13
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 08:13:27 PM »

A Google search for organic grub control came back with the Hb variety as a biological control.. When I purchased them the documentation that came with them lists what species is best suited for which pests.  From what I've read they can be limited in the temperature range they can survive so repeat applications are needed.  That is what led me to attempt breeding them.
"Only plants had consciousness. Animals got it from them." -D Pendell

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 10:35:22 PM »

Very intense.   :)  I'd ask you to upload some photos but since the upload restrictions on photos, it's a real pain :-\
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 08:49:59 AM »

Eat them grubs when you find em. Good stuff. Little green or brown ones out here taste like cucumber.