Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Sceletium tortuosum seeds from 2 vendors 2 different plants  (Read 10893 times)

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238

A couple years ago I ordered some sceletium tortuosum seeds. I grew two plants for awhile. One day my dog knocked over the table they were on and broke both of thier pots. I repotted them, but they took a turn for the worse. After not having any luck reviving them I ended up just fermenting both of the plants, so a little bit of happiness came out of thier sad demise.

Earlier this year I decided I want to grow more of these plants. I ordered more seeds, but this time from a different vendor. The seeds I received were identical. Once they started to grow I noticed some differences. These ones are smaller and seem to grow slower than the ones I used to have. Other than the size and growth rate they are identical.

I'm fairly certain these are two different member of the sceletium genus. I know I've seen a vendor that offers 5 or 6 different sceletiums. I would order from them, but you have to send money in the mail.

Anyone have any idea which one might be the real sceletium tortuosum?

semaphore

• Trading Score: +4
Re: Sceletium tortuosum seeds from 2 vendors 2 different plants
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:47:29 PM »

A couple years ago I ordered some sceletium tortuosum seeds. I grew two plants for awhile. One day my dog knocked over the table they were on and broke both of thier pots. I repotted them, but they took a turn for the worse. After not having any luck reviving them I ended up just fermenting both of the plants, so a little bit of happiness came out of thier sad demise.

Earlier this year I decided I want to grow more of these plants. I ordered more seeds, but this time from a different vendor. The seeds I received were identical. Once they started to grow I noticed some differences. These ones are smaller and seem to grow slower than the ones I used to have. Other than the size and growth rate they are identical.

I'm fairly certain these are two different member of the sceletium genus. I know I've seen a vendor that offers 5 or 6 different sceletiums. I would order from them, but you have to send money in the mail.

Anyone have any idea which one might be the real sceletium tortuosum?

Will check the local nursery this weekend to see if i can source seeds and what they look like.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:59:57 PM by semaphore »

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
Re: Sceletium tortuosum seeds from 2 vendors 2 different plants
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 02:53:31 AM »

It may just be that they are different varieties or 'strains' of kanna. Different looking varieties aren't unheard of in the plant kingdom after all. ;)