Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Trichocereus Book, crowdfunding campaign  (Read 11190 times)

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
Trichocereus Book, crowdfunding campaign
« on: March 10, 2016, 03:49:23 PM »

Hi All,

A long-time Trichocereus fanatic (patrick noll) is going to release a book on Trichocereus this year.

He was originally only going to do digital copies but so many people wanted printed books that he set up a crowdfunding campaign to pay for the costs of getting in printed and little extra for him.

I highly recommend supporting this campaign as there probably wont be another reprint after this first run.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/trichocereus-the-san-pedro-group-book-campaign#/

Take it easy,
Hcc

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
Re: Trichocereus Book, crowdfunding campaign
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 03:21:02 PM »

Picked up a hardcover! :)

It was the last of the 30 offered but I see that some more have been made available as of this morning.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:27:17 PM by plantlight »
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 10:59:10 AM »

I have some hesitation to buy such expensive  book, do you think it will  worth the price?

Dont know Patrick´s noll work.. his an expert or just an enthusiast ?

I fear that the book does not pass of a set of cool trichs images with short descriptions about each cultivar that can easily be found on the web.

Although love books, paying 100 € for a shot in the dark seems  to much.. thats the price for the "Trout's Notes on San Pedro & Related Trichocereus Species" (another book on my long wishlist)

C´mon guys  persuade me to buy this pearl !   ;)
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 12:43:34 PM »

I don't have persuasion skills but I'll list some of my thoughts about making the commitment.  I bought a copy but have no desire to either encourage or discourage others from doing the same. 

Negatives:
1.  This is a crowd funding project and is highly risky because you may lose all of your money with nothing to show for it.
2.  Buying something sight unseen is always a risk because you may not like what you get.
3.  It's supposed to be an e-book too and that won't cost as much.

Positives:
1.  Lots of pretty pictures are promised on quality paper.
2.  You'll be supporting a fellow enthusiast in a major accomplishment. 
3.  The edition will be numbered and signed.
4.  The author has a website with free information that serves as a sample of what the book may be like: http://trichocereus.net/psycho0
5.  It's a limited edition and may be worth a lot more someday.

I will recommend another book on the topic of freedom that originally sold in the $100 range.  I own a hardcover that I would never part with but apparently some would for $1,000 to $2,000.
http://www.amazon.com/Sic-Itur-Astra-Andrew-Galambos/dp/B001Z3DYT0/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 01:05:35 PM »

That book sounds incredible plantlight! I wish I were financially stable enough to buy and read it. The reviews I read make me WANT to read it so bad since I'm the kinda guy who seeks deep knowledge. I however can't logically shell out $1000 for a book...damn.
Spreading love!

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 01:28:51 PM »

A sampling of the author's ideas can be found in another less expensive book that was produced from his earlier work.

http://www.amazon.com/Thrust-For-Freedom-Introduction-Volitional/dp/0880780061/ref=pd_cp_14_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Q1N8ZRG53EN7CE9FE7M
There are used copies selling for a penny. 

This paperback would be a great way to find out if you're interested in the concepts.  For me, it was a new discovery about a way to think that made sense and became part of my life.  I don't have the words to explain it but the ideas allowed me to make judgements about whether my own ideas were sound or not before I put a lot of time or energy into them.  I've always been freedom oriented and these concepts are what I needed to find to help me focus. 

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 06:29:45 AM »

ordering the first book now...

hard to figure, but for me freedom is a slightly bigger issue than the medicine and magic of Trichocereus

never mind they are the same issue!

-Ian

happyconcacti

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 05:16:00 AM »

Well, I'm not going to try to convince you one way or another. Plantlight covered a good list of pro's and con's.

I bought it for a couple reasons:

1) Patrick Noll knows his Trichs and has been digging through all the old and new cacti books to piece together all descriptions of plants in habitat and correlating them to plants today. So as far as him being an expert or enthusiast? I don't know but he's been at this for a long, long time. You might know him better by a moniker he uses on a different forum that's cacti-centric.

2) If anything, it will be a good snapshot of the trichocereus genus in time.

3) I like picture books, a lot.

4) Photos by yours truly (and at least one other member here) will be in it ;)

Peace,
Hcc

thunderhorse

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +15
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 08:10:58 PM »

I can't wait till mine arrives ...
i think i was 6th to ensnare myself a copy .. -edit- would've been 3rd but had to find out if I could change my shipping address when I move ..

rawrz!!!!! has a whole section on validus as I'm told ...
and is purely a botanical/horticultural type book

which is just perfect for my needs -and they're family oriented  8)

this dude Patrick like...; saved my entire collection when i was a noob and helped me ID loads of them !

and even all the emails to graham charles over the last 4-5 years couldn't ilicit a tricho book out of him ..
*prissy voice and pulls silly face* Gymnocalyciummmm !!!!

-gymnocaly my ass ium

he needs to get this trichocereus book too man !
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 08:17:05 PM by thunderhorse »
Bliss wishes and happy growing ; )
Deseos bien aventurados y bendiciones las mas luminosas
 .•*¨`*•✫ . . . ✫•*¨`*•.¸(¯`✫´¯)¸.•´*¨`*•+Don't trust Ethnopluntes in France- they sell dead, old, dry virola

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 11:20:45 PM »

Well, I'm not going to try to convince you one way or another. Plantlight covered a good list of pro's and con's.
Hey, I forgot one of the pros, and may I say the most important, HCC recommended it -- and now thunderhorse? C'mon people, if you have the spare change, just do it!  Haha! :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:21:48 PM by plantlight »

doublebenno

• obsessive* plant collector
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +16
  • enjoying the journey :-)
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 10:00:36 PM »

Another great reason is to support DIY culture! Good on ya Patrick, can't wait to get my hands on it :-)
it's a lovely day!

Mean maximum temperature (°C) 25.5, highest 43.2
Mean minimum temperature (°C) 15.7, lowest 2.3
Mean rainfall (mm) - 145
Elevation - 38 m

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 12:20:20 AM »

I really like physical books! I hope I have enough time to start my job and get a copy :)

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 02:14:53 PM »

As far I understaind the biggest risk of this operation is to have a low quality book righ?

The biggest risk is that the campaign does not reach its goal. With that said, this campaign uses a fexible option that allows me to get the collected money even if it does not reach the goal. But that would mean that that I had to dramatically reduce the quality of the printing and the colors, which I really don´t want to do. Apart from that, have no doubt that we will get this project funded.

So if we pay, theres 99% to have a one in a kind book.

Im almost sold ;)
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

misplant

• Trading Score: +81
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 06:38:24 AM »

As far I understaind the biggest risk of this operation is to have a low quality book righ?

I'm 110% confident you and everyone else will be completely blown away by not only the extremely high quality of the book but also the content when it is published.  The color pictures alone will rock your world, many of plants in their native habitat; most certainly it will be a one of a kind book on Trichocereus plants.

That is of course if you're one of the lucky ones to obtain a copy of your own.... ;)

www.misplant.net

Life is short, Eat Dessert First

happyconcacti

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 05:56:37 PM »

I'm 110% confident you and everyone else will be completely blown away by not only the extremely high quality of the book but also the content when it is published.  The color pictures alone will rock your world, many of plants in their native habitat; most certainly it will be a one of a kind book on Trichocereus plants.

That is of course if you're one of the lucky ones to obtain a copy of your own.... ;)

^^A glowing recommendation from the 'God Father of Trichocereus' right there^^
Pages: [1] 2