Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Big box find.  (Read 6566 times)

Urban Elements

• αγρότης κάνναβης (50Tree)
  • Trader
  • Trading Score: +21
  • Organized Confusion!
Big box find.
« on: January 25, 2016, 09:40:55 PM »

So was passing by the garden dept of a big box store yesterday and found a few cacti that I could not pass up.
I got 1 for 50% off as the stupid hot glue they use to desecrate the poor cactus caused it to start rotting out on the top.

Anyone got a idea as to what the shorter, longer spined one might be? Also the little guy?
“Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around. An extremely yang solution to a peculiar problem which they faced.”
– Terence McKenna

steveoi812

• Trading Score: +13
Re: Big box find.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 02:44:09 AM »

my lord look how gorgeous!! Look at the beautiful purple/blue flowers....im very very envious...they do look active to me...Im no expert on them yet but I tell you what....WOW...

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 03:06:51 AM »

that short one looks like toothpick cactus to me, but I've misID'ed those a few times lol

however on 2nd look those ones on the right look different, idk what that could be... possibly a trichocereus..

that third one kinda looks like a cerus semi monstrose? to me of some species

omg they hot glued that? I thought it mighta been fed food coloring X_X
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:12:14 AM by Chicsa »

Urban Elements

• Trader
  • Organized Confusion!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 03:17:40 AM »

my lord look how gorgeous!! Look at the beautiful purple/blue flowers....im very very envious...they do look active to me...Im no expert on them yet but I tell you what....WOW...
The flowers are fake and ridiculous... It drives me crazy that they hot glue fake flowers on cacti in the states to try and push up sales.
“Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around. An extremely yang solution to a peculiar problem which they faced.”
– Terence McKenna

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 10:43:03 AM »

I always get upset when I see a freak show like that .. these "flowers" are just ludicrous!

Btw, the price for that specimens is the regular for those small random cactis or is just expensive because the lousy flowers?

In my country the price for something like that is around 0,5 to 1€ , but the species are not diversified.

The litlle fella looks like a cerus semi monstrose.

Good luck with them!
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 11:06:24 AM »

I'm all with roze, it upsets me when I get in a restaurant and find a "plant" on the table that has glitter glued on or whatever weird treatment they could think of. I also saw immitation eyes on a cactus ... amd all kind of weird stuff. Im not getting it either.

Personally I understood steve as sarcastic, am
I the only one ?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:06:37 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 07:26:08 PM »

Fairly certain the one with the long spines is stetsonia cornye, the 2 in one pot seems to be in the T. peruvianus complex, and I have no idea what the monstrous one is but fairly certain it's not a Trichocereus.

Urban Elements

• Trader
  • Organized Confusion!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 10:53:38 PM »

Fairly certain the one with the long spines is stetsonia cornye, the 2 in one pot seems to be in the T. peruvianus complex, and I have no idea what the monstrous one is but fairly certain it's not a Trichocereus.
I am thinking the little one is a Cereus peruvianus monstrose, also know as a Curiosity plant. 
The T. Peru was how I noticed the rack in the store in the 1st place. I know that cacti well so was kinda surprised when I noticed them at W******t.
Stetsonia cornye, you and chicsa definitely nailed it on that one! I have one already thats much smaller, but has a different color and lacks the "V" indents so I did not think of that.

Thank you for the help!   :D
– Terence McKenna

steveoi812

• Trading Score: +13
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 03:05:07 AM »

unreal that they would do such a thing to those babies...makes me sick...thats like those people that inject color into those poor little fish that glow neon green....makes me sad....still all in all GORGEOUS find...take care of them and nurse them into something awesome...still a beautiful couple of lil guys imo

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 02:14:01 AM »

The one on the left, I agree, is stetsonia coryn. The ones on the right are interesting. Not sure I've ever seen those at a big box store. Almost look like T. peruvianus, but I don't know. Could be some kind of Pilosocereus. Then the weird one is a Cereus monstrose of some kind.
Cactus = Life

misplant

• Trading Score: +81
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 05:50:27 AM »

transplanted & allowed to grow out, the two in one pot would look more & more like cuzcoensis
www.misplant.net

Life is short, Eat Dessert First