Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anyone from northern US?  (Read 5655 times)

kushijuana

• ~Transcendence~
Anyone from northern US?
« on: December 21, 2015, 07:29:42 PM »

Hello, I'm from mid-eastern Michigan in the Lower Peninsula, and I was wondering if anyone could give me a sort of list or just a few names of some species I could grow here during the season! I've been struggling to find what species I could cultivate here for some time now, and I feel you guys would be able to help me out! ;D I'm on the line of zone 6A and 5B I believe. According to some maps I'm in 6B/6A.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. My interests are mainly in entheogenics(looking for an acacia to grow year round too! :-[), but also cacti, or plants that produce edible fruits/veggies, even coffees/teas/herbs!(minus the normal tomatoes, cucumbers, ect.)

Thank you so much for your time! -K
“You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis"

Plantyman8

• Trading Score: +9
  • I WILL BE THE GREATEST AT WHATEVER I DO!
Re: Anyone from northern US?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 07:41:01 PM »

I would suggest San Pedro it takes freezing winger in Az like a trooper and turns a sweet blue. Just frost is a killer keep her close to the house and she be happy.

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 09:52:05 PM »

I dont think there are any acacias of interest which would grow there.
Trichocereus cacti could be grown outdoors 6 months a year and stored dormant indoors through winter.
Your at the edge of hardiness for Desmanthus leptolobus, I believe. Desmanthus illinoensis would easily grow there.
If you end up with a bag of Peganum harmala it may be worth a shot. Its a declared noxious weed in colorado which is zone 5b/6a.
Several Scutellaria species would grow there.
Catnip is used in smoke mixes, as tea, and fresh as a minty herb. It would grow well there. Over here in zone 7a its one of the first wild edibles to leaf out, I dug up growing starts to mine from a deer park in february, lol

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 10:31:02 PM »

You're in the same zone as I am. You can pretty much grow an ethno you want but you'll have to take them indoors around the beginning of september and bring them out around may. Plants like kratom and yopo have a hard time growing. (maybe it's just me)

If you're looking for some ideas on what to grow here's a few;
Sinicuichi, salvia, coffee, trichocereus, dagga

You could always brows around the forum and trade for plants that peak your interest. :)

Psylocke

• Curandero
  • Trading Score: +56
  • Howdy Y'all
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 02:14:08 AM »

I used to live a little north of Indianapolis. Cacti are easy to grow in your climate. You'll just have to bring them indoors when temps get below freezing. The good thing about cacti is that they need little to no light during dormancy, so you can just stick then in the corner of your garage and they'll be fine. Acacias would be difficult since they generally don't do well in pots and would not be hardy in your climate. Phalaris AQ1 is a good alternative for those in northern climates. PM me for a source. Salvia should be doable although you will need to provide some indoor lighting during winter. Medicinal cannabis is legal in your state, yes? Maybe that is an option as well.
Undergoing the formality of being alive.

kushijuana

• ~Transcendence~
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 03:57:33 PM »

Thank you all for your responses! I'm definitely looking into cacti growing as I am currently completely clueless lol.

Auxin, I figured acacia would be out of the question, but do you think if I built a greenhouse and heated it, it would be possible?

Psylocke, I'm already a card holder, and it's what got me started back into the wonderful world of cultivation :D but thank you for the info!
“You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis"

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 07:11:55 PM »

Auxin, I figured acacia would be out of the question, but do you think if I built a greenhouse and heated it, it would be possible?
Thats dedication, lol
If it stayed above freezing or only hit 30° a few times, sure some species would survive that. Keep the roots in mind.
What I do is I keep one in a big pot which I plant in the ground. In the fall I trim down the foliage and dig up the pot and bring it inside for winter, like a 6 foot tall bonsai  ;)

kushijuana

• ~Transcendence~
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 07:16:09 PM »

What I do is I keep one in a big pot which I plant in the ground. In the fall I trim down the foliage and dig up the pot and bring it inside for winter, like a 6 foot tall bonsai  ;)
That is an absolutely brilliant idea. I think Im going to try this myself. thank you so much for the input! ;D