Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Grafting salvia to coleus  (Read 4490 times)

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
Grafting salvia to coleus
« on: November 24, 2015, 07:37:59 AM »

I was just reading about this on a few other sites. The idea is to graft Salvia to a flowering coleus in hopes that the mechanism responsible for flowering is passed on to the salvia. Besides this, it would make the Salvia grow faster. I didn't see anyone state they actually did it though. Anyone know anything about this?

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Grafting salvia to coleus
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 07:45:41 AM »

Id just research the conditions that make salvia flower naturally, I have for example read that absolute darkness at night is vital for salvia health and especially bloom, so covering it at night might help. Like all other thing I have read about it I did not have any chance to verify rumors yet.

But in general every plant is naturally designed to reproduce and I would not underestimate it, I guess if the time and conditions are right it just does. Maybe we could compile all we know or can extract from reports about flowering salvia here and then experiment with "volunteering" salviaea. :D
Praise is mandatory.

FewTrueSeed

• Many Meiosis
  • Trading Score: +134
  • Fungophile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 12:15:34 PM »

This is why we measure the dark cycle when it comes to plant flowering. Plants know when the moon is shining brightly.
Never portray yourself to betray yourself, there is no I in self.

https://mycotek.org/index.php?members/fewtrueseed.1965/

sporehead

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 04:30:01 PM »

What about the graft though? I know how to make a salvia flower and am not personally interested in grafting to make this happen. I'm just curious what your thoughts are on the feasibility of such a procedure.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 06:02:11 PM »

Id try with softwood parts and a closely related species first. Alao: why not a salvia stock ?
Praise is mandatory.

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 08:34:56 PM »

Coleus sounds like a stretch but it would be fascinating if it worked.
I would more expect people to try grafting to Salvia splendens.

If I were to try grafting S. divinorum to anything or hybridizing it with anything my first attempt would be pairing it with Salvia tiliifolia.
S. tiliifolia is related to S. divinorum and a native of central america, it has the same chromosome count as S. divinorum, it is variously described as either an annual or a zone 10 perennial (so its probably the latter) and seems to flower easily, I dont know about the leaves but the seeds are roasted and brewed into a beverage.
I was going to try it at one point but every time I grew S. divinorum my agricultural district was hit by either a plague of thrips or a root-rot disease and the Salvia died :-\

mj

• Trading Score: +54

sporehead

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 04:10:15 AM »

Saw a mention of one success but it was killed by heat. Two weeks is an awfully short time to me to be successful. I wonder how the graft fares in the long run?