Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: a few questions u guys??  (Read 2761 times)

steveoi812

• Trading Score: +13
a few questions u guys??
« on: November 21, 2015, 03:50:57 AM »

Hello folks....according to this site I am right on the verge of both zone 6 and 7 for the usa plant hardiness map....with that in mind...and me being new to the plant scene (not new to plants....just new to etheno) what are some specimens that I can grow that can be left out year round...and what are the species that I can grow that would allow me to bring in their containers  once things get too cold?? I have a strong love for all things natural and visionary..With that in mind what would be a good place for me to start??

Looking to start a decent collection of pretty much everything I can get my hands on...so many species so little time!! 

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
Re: a few questions u guys??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 04:28:28 AM »

Well, for growing in the ground assume your 6b but you could mulch up around 7a hardy plants to get them to survive, or even bury some 8a plants. I turn my Heimias into pyramids of leaves and sticks to survive my 7a winters and its about time for me to dig up my turmeric, stick them in a pot, and bury the pot for the winter.
Peganum harmala would survive if the winter isnt too wet. Their 'love' of dry soil is vastly exaggerated in the summer but I wouldnt trust them to a wet winter.
Desmanthus leptolobus should survive without mulch and easily would with mulch. Desmanthus illinoensis certainly would survive.
Silene capensis may survive, I'd mulch it there until certain. It survives my dry 7a winters without mulch.
Daturas would, as theyre annual, but most would only grow them as ornamentals.
Morning glories can be grown as annuals.

For containers, that removes zone consideration and shifts more emphasis to things like humidity. Like in my extremely dry environment I could never grow stuff like kava and iboga.
Cacti are great for bringing indoors because you can make them go dormant. Many of my cacti I grow in the ground or pots outdoors spring through summer then get them dormant and bring them inside and store them in a cool room with the ones that were in the ground packed into small crates.
One trick for pots is to plant the whole damn pot in the garden, roots will grow out the drain holes, then in fall prune down the top growth and sever the roots coming out the holes and bring the thing inside for winter. You could make some gnarly jumbo bonsai that way.

Some of the changa admixture plants could grow in zone 6b. Mullein, catnip, Salvia splendens (grown as an annual), etc.
People who drink alcohol sometimes grow Primula veris to increase alcohols potency. Its a perennial hardy to zone 4 or 5.
Salvia sclarea is hardy to zone 5 and it has the same effect, but is bitter so its used in brewing beer in place of hops.
Oh, and hops is hardy to zone 5 as well.

LIBERTYNY

• Trading Score: +85
Re: a few questions u guys??
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 04:39:03 AM »

Passion flower
Chamomile german/roman
Morning glory's
Crocus Sativus -Saffron
Mints lemon balm, horehound, Pentaroyal

Should all be fine in the ground to zone 7
III%