Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any Guitar Players here?  (Read 9681 times)

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
Re: Any Guitar Players here?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 02:12:47 PM »

It's called "santur" here.
The one I described is different in 2 fundamental aspect from harp and santur:

1. harp and santur (and piano as well) have static single-note strings, there's no frets to change the note and produce different sounds out of just one string.
2. with santur (and piano) you don't touch the strings yourself, you press them with a hammer (santur) and key (piano), which makes it easier, but takes away the possiblity of bending the strings, hammer-on/downs, and other cool techniques which are only possible by fingers, not keys or hammers.

I want to build an electric prototype.
A rectangular wooden flat board,
where the strings are installed on it, with wider spaces between them than conventional guitars.
I can make the board and pickups, frets, and bridge, but I must buy the strings.
Are they expensive?
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 07:09:02 PM »

So you want to make a stationary electric guitar ?

Just buy pickups they can be cheap as dirt... but I strongly feel in the end you'll take them out again and build a handheld guitar because you just cant rock a stationary guitar :D

Quick search revealed to me: Guitar humbucker pickups for 6 $ or set of 3 single coil pickups for 8$, active ones will need you to spend more.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 07:14:30 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

Radium

• Trading Score: +2
  • When I die, plz compost me :)
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 08:41:59 PM »

What makes an expensive guitar to sound so good?
Any special stuff? like gold pickup coils or something like that?

Is it possible to build such a guitar?
Believers in God, cannot forbid any of God's creations, including plants, for that's utter blasphemy.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 09:36:49 PM »

"Good" is relative and not black and white. But yeah you can buy cleaner sounding or relatively "better" sounding pick ups, afaik the body of the guitar and its harmonics can be completely neglected / dont matter at all (if electric) thus its down to electronics and layout of theese. AFAIK so far ... can build the thing any time but I sure suck at playing it :D

Maybe try winding your pickup for a monochord at first if you really want and check if you like the sound. When I started electronic music I loved everything that was a) homebuild b) shabby and very low-fi and analog. Did sound "good", relatively.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support-pickups-101/how-to-find-your-perfect-pickups <- sure gets you covered way better than I ever could.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 09:44:56 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

BushRoot

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 06:16:59 AM »

Chapman Sticks are pretty awesome!

Pages: 1 [2]