Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22

Author Topic: Psychotria viridis propagation  (Read 135707 times)

nikshaz

• Trading Score: +151
  • This is gods work, creation..just create ethically
Re: Psychotria viridis propagation
« Reply #285 on: July 15, 2016, 12:23:45 AM »

Thanks, Ill cutback, restart
We are our own creators

The man with the seeds is the man indeed

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #286 on: July 15, 2016, 03:23:19 AM »

This will likely be my last update on the hormone tray as I think I may repot the most to a 1 L container.
It seems that all the controls have more sprouts and quicker growth BUT most treated leaves have swollen root sprout which later have a plantlet later on. (forgot to take a close up photo)

The one small issue I have is black 'rot' on the top growth on some sprouts. Not a big issue because it stops at the last nodes and sprouts again. I reason but think it is due to 100% humidity and lots of heat.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
« Reply #287 on: July 15, 2016, 03:58:42 AM »

This will likely be my last update on the hormone tray as I think I may repot the most to a 1 L container.
It seems that all the controls have more sprouts and quicker growth BUT most treated leaves have swollen root sprout which later have a plantlet later on.
It's good to have these results documented.

I've done some experimenting in the past and have not noticed a difference and yeah, I thought I remembered a control in one of my experiments growing noticeably faster than the the treated leaves.  Nothing as extensive and thorough as your experiment though.  It needed to be done. 8)
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

modern

« Reply #288 on: July 23, 2016, 10:38:28 PM »

Here are the swollen root nodes that occurred only on the treated leaves although may be common with others. I have repotted my leaves to larger containers so next update will be in a few months after they have grown a few inches.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 10:46:42 PM by modern »

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #289 on: July 24, 2016, 03:28:54 AM »

I use to root my pv leaves in water. Put a fast rooting plant in the same glass helps chacruna roots.
I saw it with Coleus...coleus and chacruna on the same glass of water.

The seedling attached on the leaf cutting can grow 5 - 10 cm only in water, just replace the water time to time.

modern

« Reply #290 on: July 28, 2016, 12:35:52 AM »

Here is a sprout on Psychotria colorata leaves I planted on June 27 so exactly 30 days to sprout. These were quicker then my larger viridis leaves and there is zero chance of the leaf being exposed to pgh like with the viridi; the viridis took 6 weeks to sprout. The conditions were the same 100% humidity with bright shade and temps in the 90s everyday. The quicker sprout may be due to not using pure coir but a coir/perlite mix.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:37:26 AM by modern »

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #291 on: July 28, 2016, 03:33:18 AM »

I think colorata is just quicker than viridis because I've had similar success with leaf cuts, and I didn't treat them any differently than I do viridis.

I was fortunate enough to get a stem cutting and it rooted inside three weeks. (!)  I got it on Jun 1 and it's already outside with the main collection.

Very vigourous rooter.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #292 on: July 28, 2016, 12:25:27 PM »

Ohh, I want a leaf of the colorata!! (hint, hint Bach  :P )

The Seedist

• Trading Score: +35
  • A bookworm
Faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains.

madmonkeyz

• Trading Score: +2
  • To see things in the seed, that is genius. Lao Tzu
« Reply #294 on: November 29, 2016, 06:04:12 AM »

cat poops in my potted viridis. would the poop kill my viridis?

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #295 on: December 08, 2016, 04:33:30 AM »

From the owner of www.misplant.net :

I received 2 pv plants ina trade 7-8 maybe 9 yrs ago, they were maybe 16" or so.  Wintered over in my gh the first yr, they got ate up with bugs.  screw that, i put em outside in morning sun where they recovered.  then i put one in the ground near a conc. block wall, the other i left in its pot, maybe 5 gallons by this time.  Both plants within a few feet of each other, both getting morning sun.  Winter came, the one in the ground froze to death, & the one in the pot shed all its leaves and froze the tips......it recovered come springtime and eventually grew a little bit bigger than when it froze back.  That winter it froze again, shed all its leaves & recovered in the summer/late fall.

Two yrs ago I saw my first flowers, gawd damn they sure are tiny.  The plant flowered in very late fall, then froze again over the winter, this time freezing very hard  Last year after recovering it produced more flowers, but they occurred too late in the season to develop into fruits.  Then winter hit and it froze again.....are you beginning to see the bigger  picture here??

This year the recovery was much quicker and I saw flowers, lots of them, a whole lot earlier than before....weeks, then months passed & by golly hot damn theres berries forming!!  Well now we're heading into winter and more than likely another hard freeze.  I'm hoping i can harvest a bulk of the berries before it freezes or maybe figure out some kind of temporary cover.

Early this spring I moved the plant to a near fully shaded area, it now gets just a few hrs of morning sun & its been in a much larger pot now for 4-5 yrs.  I try to water it every 3-4 days but obviously it could stand a lot more humidity than it gets in  my garden.

Right beside it are smaller shipibo plants and a couple of E. novo plants.  Usually the novo's freeze back and sometimes recover, sometimes not.

Winters here usually means a few nights below freezing; where you see frost on the roofs or a thin lawer of ice on a small shallow body of water.  I've seen ice on a pool of water on a roof 2 miles from the ocean.

heres some eye candy to suck on....   notice the happy caapi vine? :)

Toxicodendron

• Trading Score: +88
« Reply #296 on: December 18, 2016, 07:35:20 AM »

Some interesting growing notes on the different cultivars. I recently had a drop in temps (mid 30's ?) that I hadn't anticipated in my winter grow chamber. Most of my strains of chacruna took a hit & lost their leaves.

(1st Picture) The 'Nexus' all did fine, losing no leaves & maintaining vigor. Back to growing along.

(2nd Picture) The 'Shipibo' did just as well as the 'Nexus' babies. The #6 babies stand in stark contrast with complete loss of leaves.

Thought it was worth sharing...

madmonkeyz

« Reply #297 on: February 09, 2017, 01:54:49 AM »

Ants farming aphids on my beautiful viridis! I sprayed water to get rid the ants and aphids but i know it is only temporary. They will be back. What should I do? Would those ants and aphids kill my lovely viridis? I am worried.

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #298 on: February 09, 2017, 12:36:09 PM »

Ants farming aphids on my beautiful viridis! I sprayed water to get rid the ants and aphids but i know it is only temporary. They will be back. What should I do? Would those ants and aphids kill my lovely viridis? I am worried.

In my viridis there are aphids all the time...I control it with neem oil when there are to many. They don't kill the plant.

madmonkeyz

« Reply #299 on: February 11, 2017, 01:39:30 PM »

In my viridis there are aphids all the time...I control it with neem oil when there are to many. They don't kill the plant.

do you mean the neem oil would not kill the viridis or the aphids would not kill the viridis?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22