Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22

Author Topic: Psychotria viridis propagation  (Read 135834 times)

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
Re: Psychotria viridis propagation
« Reply #270 on: June 10, 2016, 01:57:10 AM »

Trying to get this straight.  So the control is untreated, as I understand.  If haven't gotten this mixed up, you're saying both the treated and untreated viridis sprouted within 1 month?   ???
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #271 on: June 10, 2016, 02:09:28 AM »

Well the experiment proved inconclusive as the control sprouted just as quick as the treated leaves. In the future I will have to try again with a larger matrix of pgh varying in ppm.

I'll most likely reapply the same pgh to the respective leaf sprouts to see if long term they affect growth. Ga3 has affected flowering with my iboga at 50ppm so perhaps I won't have to wait 4 years to get flowers :D.

The rotted ga3 alba leaf did root however the bottom half in the soil was all brown. It's doubtful that the ga3 caused this but ga3 is known to inhibit root growth so might have had some effect?

Bach did mention that #6 was the quickest to root for him and others mentioned similar results although I can't recall what the time frame was for sprouts.

I'll post pictures this weekend

Trying to get this straight.  So the control is untreated, as I understand.  If haven't gotten this mixed up, you're saying both the treated and untreated viridis sprouted within 1 month?   ???

Yes the control was untreated. They all got the same soil (pure coir), same water amounts, same fertilizer amounts. The temps have gotten quite hot this past 2 weeks. These leaves are 6 weeks in so a bit over a month.

EDIT:
Perhaps the harvest date had some effect on the quicker sprouts? IDK just tossing out ideas. I guess to resolve this Bach should send me another batch of #6 leaves so I can try to replicate the one month time frame.  ;D .... well 6 weeks idk if that makes it less impressive.

On a side note I think that a 50/50 coir perlite mix would result in quicker sprouts but idk in the past I've had quick sprouts with light soil mixes.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:15:23 AM by modern »
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

modern

« Reply #272 on: June 11, 2016, 06:31:08 PM »

So here are the photos... The first leaf is the #6 control, the second leaf is Nexus control, the third leaf is the alba control. The #6 1mg Tria had too small a sprout to photograph well. There are a few leaf cuttings that don't seem very far from sprouting.

The control leafs seem to be doing better then treated leafs but might still be too early to tell

berserkerofoden

• Looking to expand my garden and make friends
« Reply #273 on: June 27, 2016, 03:07:03 AM »

how do you keep algae off your soil? I got a P. Virdis cutting thats rooted but the soil is turning green with algae
The giant in front of us is not as big as the gods within us

Hummingbird

• Trading Score: 74
  • Got nectar?
« Reply #274 on: July 06, 2016, 07:18:06 PM »

I'm also starting Psychotria cutting in Coir, so I have a question- how wet should the coir be?
Like soaking wet, or simply wet?

modern

« Reply #275 on: July 06, 2016, 09:23:59 PM »

I soaked my coir till runoff and kept it soaking wet without issues (2 or 3 out of 15 leaves rotted but think it was do to GA3) Make sure you container has drainage holes.

If you are starting stem cuttings I would wet the coir then press to remove excess water.

To keep algae at bay you should provide adequate air circulation and if it still persists adding H2O2 will also help. You can just remove the top layer of soil if it gets too bad.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:29:24 PM by modern »

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #276 on: July 11, 2016, 10:40:11 AM »

Im happy with the "water- cup " method, great results in a couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:24:55 PM by Roze »
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #277 on: July 12, 2016, 02:30:50 AM »

Im happy with the "water- cup " method, great results in a couple of weeks.

(thanks bach!  8) )
I use the water rooting method but don't get results like that in 2 weeks.  The attached photo shows roots I got in 4 weeks but I think you've done better.

I just soak them in a small jar of water kept in a humidity chamber.  http://sharetheseeds.me/forum/index.php?topic=2835.msg24345#msg24345

Does your method require anything else? ???
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

EIRN

• Golden Member
  • Trading Score: +212
« Reply #278 on: July 12, 2016, 02:06:45 PM »

Some plants are faster to root (Basil for example). Put a cutting of a plant like Basil togheter with psychotria leaves, and they will root faster.
Fast "rooter" plants have more hormone and release it in the water.

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #279 on: July 12, 2016, 08:27:08 PM »

I just add 3/4 drops of regular rooting hormone/ stimulant  to the water .
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:02:04 AM by Roze »
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #280 on: July 12, 2016, 10:50:54 PM »

I've tried rooting hormones on both leaf and stem cuttings and found no difference in root growth. I do not root leaves in water though, so that might make some difference.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

plantlight

• pl -- for short
« Reply #281 on: July 12, 2016, 11:05:22 PM »

I've tried rooting hormones on both leaf and stem cuttings and found no difference in root growth.

Yeah,  I've tried a rooting harmone pre-soak and found no difference but I've never tried harmones in the rooting water before.  Gonna have to try it now.

I'm also trying the sphagnum in a take-out tray method compared to the water method on another set of leaves.

berserkerofoden

• Looking to expand my garden and make friends
« Reply #282 on: July 13, 2016, 04:04:38 AM »

Thanks modern. this water cup method I am guessing is just to drop the cuttinng in water and add light?
The giant in front of us is not as big as the gods within us

nikshaz

• Trading Score: +151
  • This is gods work, creation..just create ethically
« Reply #283 on: July 14, 2016, 11:56:04 PM »

I had some leaves darken. I didn't think an all purpose fertilizer that's 5-5-5 would do this. I've seen fertilizer burns but none like this. What do you guys think?
We are our own creators

The man with the seeds is the man indeed

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #284 on: July 15, 2016, 12:18:34 AM »

Psychotria leaves need absolutely no fertilizer when rooting. They do fine for me in plain miost spagnum until the new plantlets are six inches tall or so, at which point they get potted up.

As for your leaves cut them back immediately to remove all the black tissue.  Then place them in some inert rooting media. Perlite or vermiculite would probably work. Sphagnum is my medium of choice as you know. Soil could work but then you run the risk of more black rot. It's still a possibility anyway.

I'm speculating here but what I think happened is that you fed the microorganism(s) that cause that tissue necrosis. The leaf really has no means to use fertilizer until the new plant is actively growing. I mean it was green and healthy already right? Psychotrias are not heavy feeders and Pv in particular is a slow grower, so fertilizer at this point was not needed.

She's a great teacher of patience.   ;D

If your leaves fail altogether you know you can get more.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22