Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22

Author Topic: Psychotria viridis propagation  (Read 140313 times)

sporehead

• Trading Score: +85
Re: Psychotria viridis propagation
« Reply #255 on: April 26, 2016, 06:19:36 AM »

Sounds like the same leaves i got during the giveaway. All but one has sent up shoots. I'm sure the last will. They took between two months and four months.

mj

• Trading Score: +54
« Reply #256 on: April 26, 2016, 07:04:22 AM »

I have some PV seeds originally from Brazil said to be used by the church there. I also have some PV seeds said to be from Peru and then I have a few of Bach's bird poop PV seeds. I really meant to get these going in Oct or November last fall but I was busy and had both my hands and my grow box full with leaf cuttings. I was able to share a lot of the seeds that I had with a number of others (some here) so maybe some of them will remember and comment on both the time they took to germinate as well as the germination rate of the seeds that they got.
   I know that I have left these a long time, a lot longer than I should have and that the germination rate will have suffered as a result.
   So what I am doing right now is running these seeds in a small rock tumbler filled with coarse builders sand (sharp edges). The first batch of the Brazilian PV seeds are in the machine now entering into day two of tumbling. I am attempting to reduce the thickness of the seed coating by about half or more. The idea is that if the seed coating is thinner then the expanding seed will expend less energy to break free so less energy (carbohydrate used up by the germination process). Also germination should be faster with a thinner seed coat and the plants ought to have more available energy to get growing with. Looking like I will be the best part of a week before I am ready (three batches of different PV seeds at two days each in the tumbler) to then overnight soak the seeds and then see how many and how quickly they germinate. I plan to germinate in moist paper towels in a zip lock baggie. I had excellent results with this method with my leaf cuttings. I may add a little very finely chopped up sphagnum moss to make sure the seeds have air surrounding them and I will powder them with a fungal inoculent so that the emerging roots make immediate contact and the symbiotic process begins asap.
   I will count all the seeds in each batch and will report back when they sprout and let you know how it went providing time and numbers.

modern

• Trading Score: +199
« Reply #257 on: April 26, 2016, 12:05:33 PM »

Well the leaves I was planning on doing the pgh matrix turned out to be alba. I don't want that many alba due to space issue so will reduce to ga3 50ppm, naa 50ppm and combo with a control. Maybe in the future I'll do a larger matrix. Ill post results when I have any.

The lighter the mix the quicker the sprout for me but Ive had very mixed results... 2-3 months seems to be the amount of time it takes for me usually but I only tried planting in the summer.
Best time to sow is 5 years ago...

modern

« Reply #258 on: April 27, 2016, 12:53:00 AM »

So today I started two experiments repeated twice. Alba (large leaf and small in different sets 4 each) with 1 control, ga3 50 ppm, ga3+naa 50 ppm and tria 1ppm +ga3+naa 50ppm done twice with alba leaves. Also Viridis and Nexus each with 1 control, triacontanol 1ppm, tria 1ppm+ ga3 50ppm, and tria ppm +ga3+naa 50ppm each. I didn't have enough of the same clone to do a larger matrix so just used the common concentrations used in papers. tria at 1 ppm ga at 50 ppm is common with 100 sometimes being better and naa 40 ppm is usually the best but 50 is close enough (may actually be closer to 40 ppm as I used a salt form which likely isn't very 'pure' like 70% I think but idk.

Leafs were soaked in PGH for 1 minute then placed in coir and watered.

I folded the leaves in 3 to fit easily in 3inch pots in 100% coir. Was gonna 'circle' them without snapping but stem too ridged. The pgh were written on the pot and mixed 'randomly' but not enough I think.

Hoping for quicker sprouts or possibly larger/stronger sprouts. Will post here again when I get my first sprout probably around June or July.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:51:39 AM by modern »

Bruce

• Trading Score: 6
« Reply #259 on: April 28, 2016, 01:41:52 AM »

I see alot of you have trouble with transplanting and humidity, has anyone tried using an anti-transpirant to reduce shock/stress on your plantlets?

Product like this: http://www.agrobest.com.au/products/Envy-37.html

I'll bet my leftie that will help improve success rates (but I have not tried on P. viridis)

This thread has piqued my interest, I may have to get me some leaves!

;)
I ask not for a lighter burden but for broader shoulders

modern

« Reply #260 on: April 28, 2016, 12:54:20 PM »

Has anyone ever run or seen viridis in DWC? I'm gonna get a small pump and experiment with it and am just considering which plants to use. Not sure if roots are too fragile for it.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #261 on: April 28, 2016, 03:15:51 PM »

All you have to do is ask!  ;D
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

oriky

• Trading Score: +37
  • Green boy
« Reply #262 on: April 28, 2016, 04:44:49 PM »

All you have to do is ask!  ;D

can i be rude and ask for some leaves?
Please fell free to send a message

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #263 on: April 28, 2016, 05:59:42 PM »

Make all requests either in the appropriate subforum or in the form of a private message :)

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2016, 08:52:51 PM »

STS does have the Florida Psychotria Viridis guru here.  We bow to the mighty Bach.  :P ;) ;D

Bruce

• Trading Score: 6
« Reply #265 on: April 29, 2016, 03:03:19 AM »

Mighty kind Sir, I shall have to repair my hot house and get back to you! Ty

In the meantime, if anyone does try Envy I'd love to know how you go... I've seen it do some amazing stuff first hand and I think it is somewhat of a trade secret (wholesale nursery industry). I'd better duck for cover when the industry peeps see this.... lol
I ask not for a lighter burden but for broader shoulders

Biotopia

• Trader
  • Trading Score: 13
« Reply #266 on: April 29, 2016, 03:48:08 AM »

So I've read through most of this thread and I have a question.  I have some leaves in a humidity chamber and I want to plant them in a terrarium but some have mentioned "gnarly" growth when a more mature plant is left at 100% humidity.  I'm wondering if the cause of "gnarly" growth is high humidity or lack of air flow?  The terrarium with be air injected so they will stay at 100% humidity but also have fresh air exchange.
"Only plants had consciousness. Animals got it from them." -D Pendell

modern

« Reply #267 on: June 10, 2016, 01:11:39 AM »

So a follow up on pgh experiement. Just 1 month after planting the leafs the alba control, viridis #6 control, (triacontanol 1ppm) and (tria 1ppm+ ga3 50ppm) (Only green callous) have sprouted. The sprouts are still quite small so not much difference between them at the moment. The alba control is larger and sprouted last week. The alba 50 ga3 rotted. These are the sprouts I've noticed and there might be others... after another month 2 two differences should be noticeable if any.

I was surprised that the viridis #6 sprouted before the nexus and even most other alba leaf cuttings.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:42:47 PM by modern »

mj

• Trading Score: +54
« Reply #268 on: June 10, 2016, 01:23:51 AM »

Modern I would be dancing just like the guy in your Avatar if I got any of my Psychotria to root and shoot in a month especially so P.Viridis, that is amazing. You have to be feeling very good about this experiment congratulations. regards mj. 

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #269 on: June 10, 2016, 01:47:48 AM »

yeah man most of mine take months lol
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22