Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22

Author Topic: Psychotria viridis propagation  (Read 141565 times)

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
Re: Psychotria viridis propagation
« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2015, 05:13:17 AM »

Nice synopsis there Frog PJs. It should prove helpful to anyone intetrested in growing this plant.

For the record propagation via leaf cutting is a genus-wide phenomenon as far as I can tell. I have sprouted several other Psychotria species including P. horizontalis, P. poeppigiana, P. mapouroides and P. ipecacuana (sp?) all from leaf and while some were more difficult (P. poeppigiana) they all eventually took.

So if anyone comes across rarities like poeppigiana or P. elata, give it a try. (And send me some extras!)
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Ian Morris

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +52
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2015, 04:07:51 AM »

Nothing substantive to add really, but I can repay some love and provide some pics for everyone's enjoyment (although I do appreciate FP's MS Paint breakdown, thanks for the distinctions).  This is the result of about roughly 5 months of fall/winter sun in a small humidity box with peat pellets done in the vertical style.  These started as two leaves (thanks marshmellow) and each time central vein sprouts roots I would let the longest get about a cm and then I would clip off a couple of cm worth of leaf and put it in its own pellet.  Slow growing but really determined to survive, perfect kind of plant. 

These pics were taken just before separating another central vein and using up all the spaces in my humidity box.  You can see that the tips of some of the new roots have started to blacken (I'm guessing low humidity only because I have been absent minded of late and other factors haven't changed, plus the ones growing from the pellet bottoms seem to have no determinate ending and just keep growing) but its no big deal.  The central vein has enough healthy looking new roots to take hold and start the process all again.

Enough chat, lets all do our part and make sure this magical plant spreads wherever it is needed.

Thanks to FP and everyone else for upping the ante and getting this invasion rolling.
Special thanks to Bach and all the other real pioneers who brought this magic to the masses to begin with. 

oplopanax

• Trading Score: +139
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2015, 06:41:08 PM »

Just wanted to say that I got all my leaf cuttings potted up!

Once they root out I'm going to need to give away a lot of plants, since there are now 18 4 inch pots in my very small house that is already so full of plants...
No living organism should be illegal.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2015, 02:20:50 AM »

Got mine planted :D yay !

A few came with large black spots creeping along the stem and such, I suspect it might be some kind of mold so I seperated them, so they cant to any harm to the others.

All others went in all sorts of different mixes of potting mix, sphagnum, perlite, vermiculite sand ... and also in many things in pure form too. Then I put them in this cool probably cheapo but still cool grow tent I once got as a present, it has a heat mat in there (if you look closely you might spot a 5 kg copper bar in there ... well the story behind that is that I really would like to say the only intention is preventing hotspots from the heat mats heating element ... but well, the metal workshop os crowded with metal, gotta store it somewhere :D ) which will heat it to desirable temperatures with a little thermostat pickup you can place anywhere (places it in a containers dead space and set 25 deg C)

All leaves (and the cutting and the root ( is ist a psych root I got ?)) are individually put into plastic boxes the ms. always saves (and goes nuts when she finds I was using them for sth she didnt intend theese for :D ) with different amounts of dead space / air. Some are in pots covered with bags because either the ms. didnt do a very good job saving theese plastic containers or I used too many recently :D :D :D

Praise is mandatory.

MirlitonVine

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +23
« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2015, 11:48:12 AM »

I didn't have enough pots for mine, so I planted a few in the ground in my greenhouse. One of them already has little bud looking things coming out of the back vein. It's dark now but later I'll post a pic.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2015, 10:15:42 AM »

Hey folks,

this doesnt look good :(
When I got the leaves some in the batch where black / brown and I sorted them right out. Now this one turns brown too, itappears like there was an infection that only showed on some leaves when they arrived but is on many or even all   :'( is that possible ? Is it okay for the leave to turn brown ? Might it be too humid or too badly vented ?

Thanks a lot
Praise is mandatory.

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2015, 03:51:58 PM »

Looks kind of like rot since it's right on the main vein at the soil. It could be that the soil is too wet, I would consider trimming off that lower affected area and replanting in new soil. The small black spot on the side of it should be fine to leave alone as long as it doesn't spread anymore.... the top of the leaf could be the same as the rest of the spots, but could also be from low humidity...

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2015, 04:28:07 AM »

Saving it might be difficult, but cut it just above were the black ends on the midrib.

IME that kind of rot is likely to kill it altogether and could have started from a number of things including mechanical damage or exposure to too much cold.

Don't worry though there are always more where that came from, and given enough demand I could be persuaded to do another giveaway.   8)

Greench

• Trading Score: +3
« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2015, 05:26:35 PM »

I've got the same brown/black issue on the leaves I just received.
I removed all the non-green colours before potting. Hopefully, that will be enough... but considering the time they take to grow roots, I'm a bit skeptical.
Wait and see...  ;)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2015, 06:40:31 PM »

To me it appears the cause for the brownish spots comes during lengthy shipping. Those in the spaghnum appear to be best btw :)
Praise is mandatory.

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2015, 02:02:34 AM »

If we do it again and I'm the shipper, I'll send directly to each of you so they make it in better shape. It was a little cold too, and surely it was even colder in transit.

I think they could be packed sufficiently and compactly enough to keep cost down with some packaging care.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • <3
« Reply #176 on: March 23, 2015, 04:32:05 PM »

Wow !

I expected this to take a while ! I have been checking on the leaves and what shall I say: The leaves in the Spaghnum & perlite, the leaves in the perlite and the leaves in the possing mix & perlite all show roots on the snapped vein and on the "stem" :D

I know shoots are another stage from here but yeah ! wohoo, Im so happy.

The roots are roughly 5mm in average and sure growing strong. Do they need a tiny tiny amount of nutrients soon ? Since obviously the perlite and Spaghnum ones wont finf any.

I think this rocks. I didnt take pictures yet since I am not sure if its a good idea to check for roots anyway so I only peeked in there :)
Praise is mandatory.

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #177 on: March 23, 2015, 05:29:40 PM »

When I was propagating viridis with only sphagnum moss I didn't add any nutrients and some were sprouting up with 1-2 sets of leaves! That was when I took them out and moved them to soil, or sent them out for trades. Although, adding some nutrients shouldn't hurt. No worries about pics if you're worried about unnecessary root shock!

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2015, 04:08:44 AM »

They don't really need nutes at that stage. I've been known to be lazy sometimes and let them get 4 or 5 sets of leaves before potting them up. Low nutes really don't seem to bother them much.

Once you do feed them, worm castings work very well and osmocote is very good too, but only for those who aren't too fussy about being organic.

SoulGrower

• Trading Score: +151
« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2015, 01:45:44 PM »

This touches on something I've actually been thinking about lately.  Keeping my babies in high humidity enclosures or with ziplock bags over the containers.. the media seems to take a very long time to dry out.  Therefore, I'm not really delivering nutrients regularly.  I've wondered if foliar applications of nutrients would be of benefit?

Although, bc these guys grow so slowly, maybe they're not taking the nutrients out of the media any faster than it takes to dry...
You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body
C.S Lewis
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22