Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Aspergillus Niger Identification  (Read 4661 times)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Aspergillus Niger Identification
« on: June 02, 2015, 04:47:09 PM »

How can I tell Aspergillus Niger is that and nothing else. I have an old culture I have been given and I am very sure it is A Niger but I wouldnt mind a new one, so I looked around and I found a piece of cardboard someone tossed out, since it has been raining on ir doesnt suprise me to find black spots on the underside, now: Is that A. Niger ?

Must I find a microscope and look at both with magnification and find them similar or different ? If they appear the same, is that a sure ID or could there be other molda that lead to confusion ? Would a Stachybotrys easily stick out ?

This feels overcomplicated but if its what it takes :) http://www.scielo.br/pdf/bjm/v42n2/44.pdf
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:10:04 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

teonanocatl

• Trading Score: +28
  • ashes in the riiver, I step into the flow.
Re: Aspergillus Niger Identification
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 08:10:10 PM »

there is a lot of info in that article, what with being all scientific and all..but assuming your looking to cross reference the spore shape to the characteristics of those in the article...even of its something more in depth i would say yes, thats what its gonna take...mold is so small...you really got to get in there to get a good id...ive found that most black spot mold are aspergillius...but then again im not counting on it, so no need to actually make 100% positive id in my case...in any case what do you want to use this completly isolated mold strain for anyways?
dont worry, B. Caapi.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 09:35:16 PM »

Im afraid it could be Stachybotrys, no ?

I really dont think its appreciated if I explain in detail what its for but in general its to produce citric acid if you want so. I do already have a strain, if its enough to put it on binoculars at 400x (dont have a higher but could get a lens) and check for it to "look similar" then yeah, then its easy. I am just afraid that I look at it and find it to be similar whilst somebody who really knows what were talking here would go "duuude, I know at least 10 molds that "look similar" and arent the same" :)

Dont forget I do already have one strain but I just want another to see if it behaves any different.

if its this easy:
I see a whole lot of Aspergillus on a daily basis.

Here: http://www.researchgate.net/publictopics.PublicPostFileLoader.html?id=54eda79cf15bc74b2d8b4689&key=c23b2e71-806f-45b5-856c-2563cf3cce55 magnification in excess of 1000x is used I'd have to upgrade.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:55:05 PM by BubbleCat »
Praise is mandatory.

teonanocatl

• Trading Score: +28
  • ashes in the riiver, I step into the flow.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 10:18:25 PM »

if your basicly just looking for acid forming bacteria many common fermented items are based on acid forming bacteria and for the most part relitivly pure innoculant of said bacteria is ussually fairly easy to come across...does it need to be citric acid, if so why do you need the bugs to do the work would it not be cheaper/easier to buy pure citric acid and mix it in your whatever? if not acetic acid is usually one of the easier ones to form with a vinegar/kombucha scoby....ya try aspergillus orizea
dont worry, B. Caapi.