Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Botanical anti freeze  (Read 8814 times)

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Botanical anti freeze
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 01:58:21 AM »

Most fish in colder climates and saline waters, alongside many amphibious species and insects, many common flies for example - sadly I refuse running fish through the blender in a frankenstein attempt to make plants cold hardy :D those animals usually have a special protein :)
Praise is mandatory.

Mr. seeds

• Trading Score: 13
  • JSK
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 03:32:45 AM »

thought i'd mention it regardless :)
life is like a seed; sometimes in order to grow you have to be dropped in dirt, covered by darkness, and struggle for light. The answer is the light in the darkness...

Scribe

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 12:28:33 PM »

Well, in the long run, with the right kind of equipment and resources (I'm sure people are doing preliminary research on identifying the genes responsible for the AFPs and even Xylomannan), there could be a whole new class genetically modified plants. Now, I'm still very confused with the moral implications of meddling with nature in that way - despite pretty much studying it. Once the bigwigs ID the gene, it's easy relatively easy to vector it into something like E. Coli. Once that is done... bio reactors. No need to throw fish into the blender.

On frankenstein scale, this would be off the charts, though.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 12:36:32 PM »

Yeah Scribe, sure we could make plants produce desired components, but the real challenge would be improving an existing plants cold hardiness.

I feel getting the anto freeze proteins distributed in the plant is very promising, along with the treatment that has been shownnto be sucessfull a gew posts above, basically spray down your plant with different alcohols.
Praise is mandatory.
Pages: 1 [2]