Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: What's going on here?  (Read 3581 times)

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
What's going on here?
« on: January 20, 2015, 09:25:06 PM »

A while ago I made what was my second impale style graft attempt, it inevitably failed when instead of growing out the scion the stock simply burst out the side of it with a branch from the pere instead, now however there are roots coming out of the side of the pere where it burst from the bridgesii scion. Are these roots from the pere, or from the scion? The scion hasn't really changed appearance since the pere poked through it.... so I guess it's alive but not growing? That pere branch is about 6 inches tall now.

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: What's going on here?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »

Those are roots from the pere.  That usually happens when they're lacking something (not enough water or nutrients coming from the main portion of the stock.)
Cactus = Life

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 04:38:07 AM »

I had a feeling it was the pere roots... if I were to guess I'd say it's probably because I hadn't fertilized that pot in a while... so if I were to trim that branch right where it grows out of the failed scion graft to replant do you think the stock would push out another branch through the scion or do you think it might focus on the scion growth? I have a hard time thinking the whole scion is dead with it still looking green... so maybe the graft only partially worked??

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 05:01:40 AM »

I'm pretty sure that scion is toast, but who knows. And I'm not sure why exactly the roots form, but I've seen it happen on unhealthy peres.  Another sign of them being unhealthy is the way the skin is drying up like that on the pup even though it's relatively fresh growth.  How much light does it get?  They need a lot of light otherwise they start to get really malnourished it seems.
Cactus = Life

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Onward to the new
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 06:07:47 AM »

Those pere are in front of a mostly western facing window, so it probably has had some lack of light since it's been winter, I've been pretty tight on space under the lights I have so not all my pere are under them

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 09:19:53 AM »

Ah okay, that's probably why it's stressed.  Even when I put my peres just beside my lights instead of under them they will get all unhealthy. My recommendation if you want to help it, give it more light.
Cactus = Life