Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Psychotria trouble!!!!  (Read 4956 times)

gnosis

• Trading Score: +31
Psychotria trouble!!!!
« on: January 18, 2015, 05:06:27 PM »

Well it started about a week and a half ago I first noticed the leaves
having holes and looked as if they were being eaten.  Sadly I didn't react right
away and then finally yesterday I sprayed them with the sprays I have in the
picture and this is what I woke up to this morning.  I have to say I am very sad and
scared :'( these are my babies and I can't believe how attached I have become to
them. I know I am going to have to wait it out and see if they will pull thru
but I have a few questions.
First should I clip the really messed up leaves?
Second should I keep my humidifier on them?
Third should I put some light on them?
Fourth should I keep watering them? I actually watered them this morning when I
found them like this but I immediately wondered if I was supposed to after I did it.

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
Re: Psychotria trouble!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 05:50:54 PM »

Weird, one of mine just did the exact same thing. It ended up dropping all its leaves. I think it's still alive though.

Humidity too low? Temps too low? Not enough water?

Hcc

bohofairy

• <3
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 09:47:14 PM »

What ph is your water? It looks like a nutrient lockout/deficiency to me. If you use rain water do you supplement with cal/mag? My first thought was a cal/mag issue.

Edit: Do you usually leave the pots in standing water? That will definitely cause root rot.

gnosis

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 10:24:05 PM »

I actually just moved and our water is well water.  I just tested it and it gave me a ph of 8. 
I never new about supplementing the water.  I usually make sure the little tray under the pot
has water in it when I water it, about halfway full.  But I always did that, like I said the only difference
is that I just moved 2 weeks ago.

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 12:57:32 AM »

Whoa! I'm not the expert, but I think that ph 8 is way too high for those plants. I think Amazon rain water naturally has ph of like 6 or even 5. Remember, each degree of ph is exponentially more or less acidic/basic, so even 2-3 points on the scale Is quite a difference (10^3=1000x ph).
I would take off dead or weak leaves ( if any have any sign of life, put in some sealed container with sterile media and try to get some clones)...
Are there any healthy leaves left on the plant? If so, I'd spray/mist with a citric acid solution every 2 days (this will kill any bugs/mites on contact, but also the runnoff will bring ur ph back down).
If it's looking reall scary with no leaves no new ones coming, I'd uproot and put in a sealed jar or something with just enough water to cover roots halfway (contact with air and water) add like 5% h2o2, switch the water out everyday, twice if you have time. This is like a super ghetto , manual cloning jar, and should be pretty clean an humid, I call it " the infirmary", and I've ressurrected many goners this way...
Best of luck!

bohofairy

• <3
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 03:00:09 AM »

Amazonian soil The average ph is below 5 in the Amazon. I second XDX's advice. I hope you and your plants recover!

gnosis

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 05:42:34 AM »

Ok well I panicked and this is what I did.  I really do not have much with which to do so I
took them all out of their pots, wash and cleaned their pots, mix fresh new soil for them, repotted them,
gave them a little food, watered them with distilled water because that's all I have here, and cut some of
the damaged leaves.  I also cut 3 good leaves and am cloning them.  I am praying to my plants spirits to
ride out with me and help me save them.  I'm sorry if I did not follow your advice to a T but I have only a very limited amount
of resources at my disposal at the moment.  I hope I didn't make things worst! :(  Thank you for taking the time out and responding.
If they pull thru I am going to did my best to replicate their environment, I never really tried hard before and got away with it, somehow
my plants seem to grow fine most the time.  This was my first emergency.

gnosis

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 05:44:49 AM »

Tomorrow I will have my car back and I will go out and spend a few dollars on my babies.
What and how do I solve my water problem?

XDX

• Trading Score: +72
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 06:40:23 AM »

I think they'll make it; they're alive, just not super happy.
I would try to make some sort of humidity dome though; ziplock, sandwich baggies, produce bags, cut 2 liter, upside-down drinkn glass, even the white or brown plastic  grocery bags... They're pretty low light plants that seem to care more about humity.

I don't do a lot of water treatment or testing, moreso soil amendments. For my really sensitive plants and starts, I do actually just pick up a gal distilled. with ph that high, I might actually do some testing and whip up a custom recipe, but I'd basically just reboil spent coffee grounds or tea for a few mins, let it cool a bit and add a lil bit of apple cider vinegar,(like a capful per liter of water maybe?), and hopefully that would bring it down enough. Maybe someone else has better advice on good water teatment options.

bohofairy

• <3
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 05:47:12 PM »

This is a "If you didn't know" post, my apologies if this common knowledge to you. Plants are dependent on ph in order to take in nutrients. If the ph is off certain nutrients lockout. This is as bad as not feeding them. Here's a good chart.

Each plant will have a certain ideal range, then a tolerable range, then the death range. I would Imagine a ph of 8 is in the death range of p. Viridis. Supplement your water with apple cider vinegar as it slowly returns to a neutral ph giving you a wider ph range for nutrient uptake. A few drops of acv lowered my water from an 8-8.5 ph down to 5.5-6 ph. Unfortunately don't know of any way to check ph reliably without a few bucks spent on test strips.

Sunshine

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +96
  • Hibernating
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 10:03:39 PM »

You could water them with melted snow or rainwater. Unpolluted rainwater has a pH of 5.6. You could mix rain and tap water and try to shoot for 6.5-7