Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tabernanthe  (Read 1104 times)

Bluesgods

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +22
Tabernanthe
« on: February 14, 2024, 12:22:21 AM »

Whats the best way to store tabernanthe pods and seeds? Refrigerator? Duration/viability?

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
Re: Tabernanthe
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 09:29:23 PM »

Sorry that this isn't aligned with your plan and question but IMO the best way to store seeds is to sow seeds. Some plants simply don't have any mechanism emabling their seed to remain dormamt and viable because they don't need to. We view this behaviour as the norm but maybe its better regarded a special trick some plants have come up with due to environmental pressures.
Praise is mandatory.

Icu.sml

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 05:15:01 AM »

Whats the best way to store tabernanthe pods and seeds? Refrigerator? Duration/viability?

Drying and drying seeds: After being harvested, seeds need to be dried and dried for best preservation. When drying seeds, you should not dry them directly on a concrete yard or brick yard. You should use a squeegee to dry the seeds so that they dry evenly and are not deformed by temperature.
 If drying seeds, it is necessary to maintain a temperature of 35 - 40 degrees Celsius. Good seeds are round, plump, uniform, and have a high germination rate.

After drying the seeds, you need to let the seeds cool completely before putting them in storage tools. Cooling the seeds prevents the seeds from respiration and water vapor loss during storage.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 03:22:45 AM »

Are you ready to plant the seeds or do you have a reason to store them awhile? It is my understanding that iboga seeds can be dried lightly(meaning not let to sit out in the open air to continue to dry for an extended period) around 2-3 days and will store maybe a few months before loss of viability entirely. It's not a species you ideally want to store the seeds. Max viability is while fresh. Being a tropical species the seeds are meant to attempt to sprout as soon as possible in its natural environment. I believe the seeds will begin to sprout inside the fruit(if it rots and doesn't otherwise dessicate) eventually. I could be inaccurate in some of those assessments but it's what I think I've read in the distant past.

It's not super hard to get growing. Sometimes you might have to help them shed their seed coat. Be very careful with a razor blade and lightly cut it free. I've done it all in one shot. Once you figure out the orientation of the insides it'll be easier. However I've sprouted ones that shed the coating themselves no problem at all. It's possible dried seeds are more likely to have a hard time with dropping the seed coats. Start them in bight shade. Like the edge of where the light hits in a shaded area without too much direct sun. Keep inside a humidity dome while sprouting. A clear plastic box works great. Don't over saturate the seedlings. Then just grow them on out. Dappled light seems to be their preference but I've also grown in full sun. Most all my experience is outdoors but adjust logically for an indoor setup knowing some of these general factors.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 03:25:52 AM by MadPlanter »
Spreading love!

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024, 10:34:32 PM »

I managed killing one once when 'helping' it out of the husk. Wait a good period of time and only attempt doing so once you're certain it wont happen naturally. The plant being more mature at this stage will also make it more robust. I found making sure the husk remains moist and pliable increases the seedlings chances to shed the husk by itself and also makes it easier for you if you do go down that road. Sphagnum was my solution and did the trick.
Praise is mandatory.