Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Aquatic ethnobotanicals?  (Read 4820 times)

reds

• Trading Score: +5
  • Resident Panthiest
Aquatic ethnobotanicals?
« on: December 10, 2014, 07:03:43 AM »

I keep aquariums, and have quite the green thumb for aquatic and marginal plants.

My aquariums are chemical free and low tech, so combining two hobbies would be perfect!

I've tried Nymphaea Caerulea (blue lotus), but it gets huge and never flowered.. Had to get rid of it because it was displacingmy fish. (Though when it was small, fish loved swimming between the underwater stems).

If i could find it, I'd like to try Datura Ceratocaula, because I'm pretty fascinated by Datura anyways.

Has anyone heard of any other interesting aquatic or marsh plants?
"I admit that my visions can never mean to other men as much as they do to me.. All I ask is that my results should convince seekers (of) truth that there is beyond doubt something worth seeking."

Turk0lok0

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +18
Re: Aquatic ethnobotanicals?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 03:23:10 AM »

observing the germination characteristics that require heat, I imagine it to bloom it also requires a lot of solar energy...in my case i germinate at pet of 2 liters, i prepare a soil with 3/4 sand+ 1/4 red soil(is the commom soil of my region in Brasil) and soaked but not overfill the line of soil yet...i used a cotton lint to fix the seed and put on surface of soil and cover with 0,5centimeters of sand only...and then a filled the rest of space with water and left at place that gets sun after 14 to 18 hours(2-6p.m.) every day...i live in tropical region, i think this climate is favors to nymphaea!! in atrachment photos of my experiment and germination after 3 weeks aproximately
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 08:01:10 AM by Turk0lok0 »

MaMajangzu

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 12:41:05 PM »

A new knowledge for me the best.

dragibus

• Trading Score: +41
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 05:16:27 AM »

Calamus and  Phalaris aquatica (and possibly other phalaris species) might do well for marginal plants.

Kratom seems to not mind being under water, but probably wouldnt work in an aquarium setting.  Unless you wanna get real fancy and try some aquatic bonsai, which might work and be really cool.  Salvia roots easily in water, maybe its a possibility too.

Lots of plants do well in hydro/aero-ponic situations, so if your system was set up like that, then you could possibly grow lots of different plants.  Ive  even heard of hydro poppies.

Lots of potential, keep us posted with your progress!

FlamingBabies

• Trading Score: +6
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »

If i could find it, I'd like to try Datura Ceratocaula, because I'm pretty fascinated by Datura anyways.

Would Datura be safe for the fish in a closed system like an aquarium? I'd be concerned about accidentally poisoning the water with fallen leaves and such, but I couldn't find any information on how fish respond to tropane alkaloids.

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 09:02:51 PM »

If I remember correctly in the "DMT is everywhere" chapter in TIHKAL they mention aquatic plants and sponges that contain DMT.

There are also several different fish that are supposed to cause hallucinations or vivid dreams when eaten. Checkout the Wikipedia page. I always thought it'd be cool to have a psychedelic fish tank filled with different life forms that all contained psychedelic substances.

dragibus

• Trading Score: +41
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 04:31:47 PM »

Oh yeh, I didnt think to list any animals.  We even have an article in the upcoming issue of Dragibus about 5-Br-DMT from animal sources, all aquatic it seems.  From the article "5-Br-DMT has been found in the sea-squirt Eudistoma fragum and in the sponges Smenospongia aurea and Verongida spp".  There are also some bofu species that you might be interested in.

There are also a few known algae and lichens that contain psychoactive substances.

I dont know how easy any of this is to care for, or if you would even be able to source any of them, but thought id expand on Greentoe's post.