Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Banisteriopsis mathiasea????  (Read 4348 times)

adamantasaurus

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +14
Banisteriopsis mathiasea????
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:14:53 PM »

Has anyone ever heard of this plant it is called Banisteriopsis mathiasea I have the seeds planted now and I got them from this guy on FB

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=284427605092077&set=pcb.284427781758726&type=1&theater

I cant find any info about this plant online and the guy that I bought them from doesnt have any info either if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Banisteriopsis mathiasea????
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 12:05:25 AM »

My research came up with a few papers written by a guy named Mathias Nebel talking about banesteriopsis species.  Synonym: Stigmaphyllon mathiasiae.  Found a picture of a herbarium specimen for the plant.  B. methiasea is just a synonym of the name Stigmaphyllon mathiasiae (Bronwenia mathiasiae may be the same too?) Here are some resources about it. I haven't completely read through them but I'm sure they will help.
The name Stigmaphyllon mathiasiae pulls up more info than B. mathiasea. Also, Kiwi is offering it for sale.

http://kiwiboancaya.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

http://plants.jstor.org/stable/history/10.5555/al.ap.specimen.mich1102295

http://herbarium.lsa.umich.edu/malpigh/MALPpdf/C20-NeoMal-v.pdf

Collector
 M.E. Mathias & D. Taylor, #6078

Collection Date
 1962/07/31

Locality
 Ucayali, Loreto, Pucallpa-Aguaytía road, km 34 just W ofTournavista

Country
 Peru (Peru)

Identifications

Holotype of Stigmaphyllon mathiasiae W.R.Anderson [family MALPIGHIACEAE] (stored under name); Verified by W.R. Anderson, 1981 Banisteriopsis mathiasiae (W.R Anderson) W.R.Anderson [family MALPIGHIACEAE]; Verified by W.R. Anderson, 1994

Notes
 Liana; petals brilliant yellow (5 Y 9/9) with strong reddish orange stripes (7.5 R 5/13) on lower petal
Cactus = Life

adamantasaurus

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +14
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 01:09:24 AM »

Thanks so much I will read through these papers, hopefully mine get to germinate. Yea the guy I bought the seeds from I think is with the same company as kiwi.

BubbleCat

• Supreme feline leader
  • Administrator
  • Trading Score: +140
  • <3
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »

OMG I so need this plant ! :D
Praise is mandatory.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 02:56:17 AM »

Kiwi has been offering it for a few years. Originally it was listed as 'White caapi' until our buddy Zaka over at the Nook  ID'd it, the same way it happened with Alicia.

Whether it really is used as an ayahuasca or not is anybody's guess, it doesn't appear in the ethnobotanical literature at all to my knowledge.

Assuming the seeds you got and the seeds I got are from the same plant (which might not be a valid assumption), they should have high viability, and pop within just a few days. I got 9/9 to germinate a few years ago, but then lost all of them sometime later to lack of water.  :(

I had kept one aside for future ID purposes and decided about a year later to try germinating it. Germinate it did  :), and two years later it's still alive. ;D  The species either is very slow to grow or needs lots of root space to stimulate it to grow. Mine is now about 7 or 8 inches high going into it's third year and still in a shallow 5 in pot.  It is now for the first time putting out branches and multiple leaf sets at the same time. Prior to this it has always been just one growing tip and one (very slow) set of leaves at a time.

I recommend planting the seeds very shallowly with the wing sticking up. The whole seed coat will split exposing the embryo and the cotyledons. A root then goes down and a shoot comes up and forms a pair of true leaves without the cotyledons ever doing anything but sitting there. Never saw anything like it, but then I'm not an experienced botanist either, just a rabid amateur.

The mature leaves are thick and kinda hard like a holly leaf.

And I think the correct spelling is 'mathiasae'.

That's everything I know about this plant. Will add more later if anything else comes to  mind.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:22:26 PM by Bach »
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Greentoe

• Trading Score: +238
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 04:02:08 AM »

It's also the least cold hardy member of the Malpighiaceae family that I'm growing. Alicia anisopetala, Alicia macrodisca, Banisteriopsis caapi, Banisteriopsis muricata, and Heteropterys orinocensis all did fine in an unheated greenhouse over the winter. Of the 4 banisteriopsis mathiasiae plants I have, only one has woken up so far this spring.

It's also by far the slowest growing of them.

MadPlanter

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +929
  • Tye dyed spirit
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 01:17:29 PM »

Would love a shot at growing this guy as well! Maybe I can find some seeds if they aren't sold out yet. Unfortunately this winter I lost my B. muricata so I'm in need of replacing that as well. Caapi is such an interesting plant and I'd like to help preserve them all!
Spreading love!