Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Taken back to "Start New Topic" screen when uploading pictures.  (Read 9543 times)

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Taken back to "Start New Topic" screen when uploading pictures.
« on: November 19, 2014, 07:51:38 PM »

I just wanted to make this topic for anyone running into this error.  Sometimes when uploading big, high quality images I get sent back to a blank "Start New Topic" screen and everything i had written disappears.  I noticed that a few other members have run into this issue and are usually a bit confused by it.  So, I'd like to explain. 

When this happens it means that you are trying to upload too many big files.  You can do a couple different things. You can either lower the number of images you are uploading per post or reduce the size of each image.  My camera's images are too large for most internet forums. I resize all the images whenever I upload so that I never run into this issue.  The way I do this is by opening them up in "Paint" and hitting the resize function.  This is probably not the best way to do it, but it works.  If you have any questions about this post them here.

New Wisdom
Cactus = Life

TBM

• The Botanical Madman
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +75
  • Onward to the new
Re: Taken back to "Start New Topic" screen when uploading pictures.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 08:37:32 PM »

This thread should be stickied ;)

Mandrake

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +13
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 01:22:34 AM »

I'm a little intrigued about this. Last year I installed a Resize Attached Images forum mod, precisely so images that would exceed certain pixel size were shrunk to a maximum of 1500px. But that shouldn't cause issues when uploading; then file size is relevant regardless of file type.

But if you're trying to upload a file higher than 50MB (which is currently the maximum weight for attachments in a post) it should return an error, not reset the topic form...

I'll try to run tests with different files.

Mandrake

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 03:34:29 AM »

Yeah. It happens to me when I try to upload more than 4 5-7MB image files.  I have resize them down to 70% on paint which makes them about 2mb and then there is no issue uploading 10 of them.  When it fails it's almost like the forum tries for a long time to upload, then gives up and kicks you to a blank new topic page.  I've heard from quite a few other members that have the same thing happen.  Anyways, if you think you've fixed it let me know and I will test it out.

Thanks,
New Wisdom
Cactus = Life