Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Will a pachanoi root at 60 degrees early winter?  (Read 4896 times)

SlowGrow

• Trading Score: +7
Will a pachanoi root at 60 degrees early winter?
« on: November 03, 2014, 01:42:27 AM »

Will a 8 inch PC pachanoi root at 60 degrees early winter in a windowsill, or would it wait till spring? I'm just curious on possible rooting time. I did use a little rooting powder to hopefully help a little bit.  Thanks for any input on this - SlowGrow

New Wisdom

• Professional Cactus Hoarder
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +223
  • Zone 6B
Re: Will a pachanoi root at 60 degrees early winter?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »

I would just let it sit rooting all winter and then check it when spring comes.
Cactus = Life

Auxin

• Trading Score: +65
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 09:50:51 PM »

Thats what I'd do too. If you water it in winter it'll etiolate.
Planting it and then not watering it all winter wont give you much of a root structure, granted, but it'll put out root buds that will be eager to grow in spring when its watered.

Some people just put a old sock on the bit that will be planted to encourage root bud formation over winter. I havent tried that tho.

SlowGrow

• Trading Score: +7
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 05:04:46 AM »

Sounds good, they shall sit through the winter, no rush   8) I don't think the pedro desires an old sock though so it can continue relaxing in soil until spring :)

cloud

• Trading Score: +16
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 08:47:08 PM »

A number of cactus species can be rooted when nighttime temperatures are on average 60° F (16° C) or above and soil temperatures are warm and conducive to rooting (Kelly 2009).

"Typical" winter conditions vary depending on the particular geographic location. From my own experience I've had success rooting cuttings when temperatures average 16° C throughout the winter months. These cuttings were allowed callous, then planted, after which they received occasional water throughout the winter months. It is useful to note though, that the conditions in my area my be substantially different to yours. Additionally, temperature is not the sole determinant of rooting and other factors such as light availability and intensity should be considered. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:50:21 PM by cloud »

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 10:10:55 PM »

The winter aspect doesn't matter too much when you consider the fact that it's being rooted inside. They definitely do better rooting outdoors in the summer when it's warm, but it still works in room temp; indoors.
Cactus = Life

cloud

• Trading Score: +16
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 08:32:42 AM »

The winter aspect doesn't matter too much when you consider the fact that it's being rooted inside.

I would think that it does. Different concentrations of precipitation, whether seasonally or regionally, would result in different levels of solar radiation (MJ.m2.day-1).  But you're right, compared to outside, being on a windowsill inside is not as exposed to the elements. What I wanted to lift out is that some areas would receive more solar radiation than others in Winter (Ie: benefiting the plant in the windowsill). We receive regular sunlight here in Winter, whereas, in contrast to some areas in the Northern Hemisphere sunlight availability is more limited during the Winter months.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:46:03 AM by cloud »

New Wisdom

• Global Moderator
  • Zone 6B
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 09:31:51 AM »

Quote from: cloud
I would think that it does.

I feel you. Sunlight in the winter is very minimal verses summer sunlight where I am located.  It's always gloom and snowing in the winter. During summer it's always blue skies and extremely sunny.  I can see how that would affect it, but, in my experience, it doesn't matter too much as I keep rooting plants out of direct sunlight anyways. 

Also, If your windows don't have good insulation and it gets really cold you may have issues.  In my experience temperature is the most important factor for rooting (cacti.) The optimal rooting temps are 85-100f. In that range with dry substrate it happens very fast. Rooting does happen at room temp, but it takes much longer. Of course there are TONS of other factors involved.
Cactus = Life

happyconcacti

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +330
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 04:51:26 PM »

One thing I've noticed as well, is that the longer the cutting is out of soil, the quicker it seems to root. I had woody-core cuttings under my bed for about a year. I stuck them in soil a couple weeks ago, at room temps, and they rooted insanely fast.  Almost like it's their last-ditch effort to save themselves. I'm not recommending this, just an observation.

Also, they don't seem to root above 100F.

Hcc