Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: For the love of reading!  (Read 4885 times)

isaak

• Trading Score: +60
For the love of reading!
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:28:44 AM »

I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we share what we're currently reading and discuss various books. I'm sure we have many members who share a passion for reading :) They don't have to be books about plants - anything goes! Fiction, non-fiction, romance, fantasy, technical, cooking...all are welcome. Please include full title, author and year if possible. I'll start...

I'm usually reading 2-4 books at any one time, since I like to hop from one to the next to keep things interesting. Here are the ones I'm currently reading:

Biomimicry: Innovation Inspired by Nature - Janine M. Benyus (2002).

The Secret Teachings of Plants: The Intelligence of the Heart in the Direct Perception of Nature - Stephen Harrod Buhner (2004).

Aya Awakenings: A Shamanic Odyssey - Rak Razam (2013).

The Great Dune Trilogy - Frank Herbert (1979).
The more I talk to birds, the better I get.

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
Re: For the love of reading!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 12:51:11 PM »

The Barefoot Architect by Johan van Lengen  (2010)  excellent book!

This manual is for those of you who dream of building a home. I will describe the relationship between a house and its environment: the limitations, and the possibilities. I hope that consulting this book will help you find solutions in realizing your dream.

The information presented in this book is mainly graphic. I believe that simple perspective drawing such as these convey information better than page after page of words. The Barefoot Architect is meant not only for individual owner-builders, but for governmental "sweat equity" programs that require the participation of owner/builders in the community.
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

• Trading Score: +2
  • ___/23\___/23\___
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:01:50 PM »

How's the book on aya?
Zone: Caput Mundi

nobody

• Administrator
  • Trading Score: +335
  • Hidden Member Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 05:33:51 AM »

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins ISBN:0-618-68000-4

A Universe from Nothing: Why there is Something Rather than Nothing - Lawrence Krauss ISBN:978-1-4516-2445-8
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:36:26 AM by nobody »
¨At any time, you can turn on your computer, log into Facebook and watch humanity´s collective ego, mid masturbation¨.

Chicsa

• Botonitect
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +172
  • Ikhinsh Toksali
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 06:08:11 AM »

The Barefoot Architect by Johan van Lengen  (2010)  excellent book!

This manual is for those of you who dream of building a home. I will describe the relationship between a house and its environment: the limitations, and the possibilities. I hope that consulting this book will help you find solutions in realizing your dream.

The information presented in this book is mainly graphic. I believe that simple perspective drawing such as these convey information better than page after page of words. The Barefoot Architect is meant not only for individual owner-builders, but for governmental "sweat equity" programs that require the participation of owner/builders in the community.

As an architect this really intrigues me, I'd like to know how much this aligns with my education and my own philosophy on design lol :X

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 08:39:33 PM »

As an architect this really intrigues me, I'd like to know how much this aligns with my education and my own philosophy on design lol :X

Im also curious with your opinion as architect on this subject! I'm trying to understand why this type of low cost but intelligent/efficient techniques aren't taught in the school..

after all barefoot architects produced the most incredible buildings of antiquity, such as the Hanging Gardens of Babylon and others.. perhaps we should follow their example!
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.