Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Grape Cuttings  (Read 2904 times)

t_tristani2002

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +7
  • Sapere Aude
Grape Cuttings
« on: July 31, 2014, 01:52:54 AM »

I have 3 different varieties of grapes (Blue Concord, Niagara, and regular green grapes - the name eludes me). I built a small bubbler for the propagation of cuttings, and even taking green cuttings, not woody stems, I can't seem to get any of them to take root. I'm using water and an air stone, cutting the vines on a 90* slant, instantly inserting into water, then to the bubbler, and they're all wilting and eventually dying. I'd like to start a vineyard, but with the 3 arbors I have, I'd like to use them to expand as they're rather full of new vine growth. Any thoughts or experience?
~tristan

onion

• Trading Score: +44
  • Why?
Re: Grape Cuttings
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 06:08:16 AM »

Those grapes do better when taken as dormant hardwood cuttings in the winter.  The only grapes that I've had consistent success with summer cuttings are Cynthiana or Norton which doesn't do well from dormant wood.  Good luck!  :)
How?

t_tristani2002

• Trader
  • Sapere Aude
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 06:26:29 AM »

Hmm interesting. Onion, I know its a hard wood after it gets growing, but do you have any experience taking cuttings of the green shoots themselves, or are your clones taken from the hardwood after they've matured?
~tristan

onion

• Trading Score: +44
  • Why?
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:38:17 PM »

Personally, I would wait until the green shoots turn woody and go dormant.  I'm not sure how old or big the plants you're cutting from are, but if they're still small one year old plants, I would wait another year.  That being said, I have rooted green tip cuttings in the summer, but the success rate was much lower, and if they are small plants, you could be setting them back a bit.
How?

Roze

• Trading Score: +210
  • After winter, trees are relieved.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 11:23:16 PM »

I have good results with the layering method. Just pick a vigorous stem and pin it down in soil or a small pot using a hairpin or U-shaped piece of wire. A small nick cut into the underside of the stem will speed up rooting.
Be weird.  Be random.   Be who you are.

t_tristani2002

• Trader
  • Sapere Aude
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 03:53:59 AM »

Hmm, ok thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try tomorrow while I'm rewiring my arbor.
~tristan