Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Psychotria Identification: viridis & alba  (Read 42632 times)

plantlight

• pl -- for short
  • Trading Score: +73
  • Invisible Man in a Fluorescent Suit
Re: Psychotria Identification: viridis & alba
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2015, 03:31:31 AM »

Check out the last page for pics

Thanks Modern,  I was about to mention that.  The member of the SAB forum reposted the Plantas entogeneas.org pictures and machine translated Brasilian to English. 

This is the stipule of olho roxo.
"Nature is the great visible engine of creativity, against which all other creative efforts are measured.” - T. McKenna

madmonkeyz

• Trading Score: +2
  • To see things in the seed, that is genius. Lao Tzu
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2016, 04:45:27 AM »

Here's some photos of viridis and alba.  The first one is viridis.  Notice how the leaves are more floppy and the how the leaf margins at the base extend nearly all the way to the stem.

P. alba

anyone here know how to grow viridis as bushy as in the first picture? is it by pinching them?

Frog Pajamas

• Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +576
  • Zone 7A
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2016, 02:46:57 PM »

I know that harvesting leaves off helps. I found out by accident after some cold damage, and EIRN confirmed that pulling leaves off will help branching and growth.

mj

• Trading Score: +54
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2016, 05:55:19 PM »

important to notice the ripple wave in the P. Alba leaf that the above picture captures so well. That is a fine looking P.Viridis plant.

LoveAndTrust

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2016, 07:32:10 PM »

Another really great ID thread. Very helpful! I think I have real PV. I'll verify before I leave my seller feedback though. haha

anyone here know how to grow viridis as bushy as in the first picture? is it by pinching them?

From what I've been reading, pinching the top node works very well and will cause it to branch out into many tops.

MeanGreen

• Trader
  • Trading Score: +36
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2018, 12:44:21 PM »

I'll just link the comparison/ID guide I posted on the shroomery, I compare alba, viridis, nexus & colorata: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25099258#25099258

But basically the two key points to me between alba & viridis are:
- Horned veins on the backside of most if not all viridis leaves, no horns/excressences on alba.

- Visible petiole on alba while viridis leaves always wraps all the way to the main stem.

The first 3 pics are viridis, the last 3 are alba:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 12:48:36 PM by MeanGreen »

ONandONandON

• Trading Score: +76
  • Looking 4 Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious Spp.
Re: Psychotria viridis flowering
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2018, 09:37:39 PM »

I finally remembered to take a picture of P. viridis showing the dolmatia on the underside of the leaves.  Not all of the leaves have these, but P. alba leaves never have them.  Look at the appendages coming off of the center vein....

I have noticed those appendages coming off the center vein of my Psychotria nexus leaf, it makes sense because P. viridis is one of the two Psychotrias which created that hybrid.

Thanks!!! that confirms my suspicions, i was trying to positive ID p.nexus as nexus NOT alba,
i will confirm nexus has 'spikes' on the leaf center vein, like viridis but much less pronounced.
we all come from the garden and to it we shall return

suchness

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2018, 03:43:39 PM »

My alba,it was sold to me as  viridis.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2018, 11:46:56 PM »

Be aware that viridis and the Nexus hybrid don't always express those dolmatia on the undersides of the leaves. They usually show up as the plant ages and with high enough humidity levels, and some genotypes don't have them at all.

The seeds my plant originated from came from a botanical garden in Nauta Peru and there are two distinct types, one of which rarely gets dolmatia. They have all tested postive via GC/MS and bioassay.

There are other (inactive) species that have dolmatia too but they are not found at all in the hobby as far as I know.

The take home is that dolmatia indicate you do most likely have viridis. If dolmatia are absent you'll need to rely on other characteristics to ID your plants.

For those who have clones of my plants, Bach #1, #2 and #6 are the broadleaf type that make dolmatia while the rest, namely #3, #4, #5 and #7 have narrower, more emerald green leaves and few if any dolmatia.

Lastly alba does sometimes develop dolmatia, but there is usually only a single pair at the base of the leaf near the petiole.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 03:28:36 AM by Bach »
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

EVENEVE

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2019, 07:30:48 AM »

hi, thankyou both for this topic, ive been trying to gather as much experience and knowledge as i can on this species, as im currently trying to gather as many variations as i can, its always best to take on board info from those who've genuine experience and hands on with the differences and variables, if its okay... mabe you could share your experience and knowledge on any other mention able differences you've become aware of... or contacts you may have .....regarding finding out more about this species and its chemo vars, and possibly attaining cuttings or seeds to add to the collection..... im trying to gather as much info as i can, and found this thread so helpful......thankuuuuu ....Catara.... also....i was wondering if you would mind if i quoted your observations and images to my colleagues and friends, to show them what info ive gathered....i will be asking them all to join this forum asap......

RatsboggleBiological

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2020, 02:41:27 AM »

-
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 06:33:04 PM by RatsboggleBiological »

Auti

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2020, 06:50:56 PM »

Hi! I registered on this forum for this!

What do you think about the P. Viridis shown on this website?

Please scroll down, there’s a bunch of different samples collected from different plates.

Identification page P. Viridis

As you can see, none of the Viridis pics on that page show a short petiole.

Thank you. I’m hoping for some insights in this matter. I’m confused.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:18:05 PM by ThomasD »

Auti

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2020, 07:23:16 PM »

What would this plant be? Only the new leaves show some "thorns". Notice the medium length petioles.

Bach

• Chacruna whisperer
  • Global Moderator
  • Trading Score: +406
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2020, 02:54:23 AM »

That's a difficult one for sure. Doesn't look like a typical viridis but it's not alba either. Could be somthing totally unrelated, or it could be viridis, or could be one of the hybrids.

If you are interested the alk profile, probably best to do a TLC on it.
Forget the night, live with us in forests of azure.

Auti

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2020, 09:44:22 AM »

Thank you man!

Did you check out the Viridis in the link in my post above?

They don't really have the same petiole length mentioned in this thread.

The information on the internet is all very confusing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5